1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The little pink top is unbecoming.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

From TVWeek:

Within the next two weeks “American Idol” viewers will see “the biggest thing to happen to ‘Idol’ in five years,” according to Nigel Lythgoe, the show’s executive producer.

Mr. Lythgoe also dispelled rumors that Michael Jackson will be making an appearance this season, contradicting news reports that said the pop star would appear on the talent show.

3. estreetfan75

estreetfan75 Member

A possiblility: USA Today gossiped before Idol started last month that the show had received approval to do some Beatles songs and they were trying to get McCartney on as a guest judge.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I thought I read that Courtney Love was supposed to become a judge, whatever

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Those reports were denied by producers.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I know who I want gone after this week. Can anyone say bye bye Sundance??? Is there anyone else who did pretty bad in other parts of their performances that I missed? Sundance's clip was AWFUL.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Sanjaya was pathetic -- embarrassing. So was the barefoot guy.

And Ryan Seacrest sure is a whiny little bitch.

Anybody who saw the show knows what I mean.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The Seattle beatbox guy was terrific.

9. estreetfan75

estreetfan75 Member

Sundance and Sanjaya have to go although Sanjaya may get the pre-teeny bopper vote.

All in all, completely underwhelming but that's to be semi-expected when there are 12 guys left.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Is Sanjaya this year's chicken little? I only saw the last performance as it happened and the recap of the rest. Damn doc and his forgetting to set the DVR.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well,

Spup, you didn't miss much. I didn't think much of the performances. Few showed enough to win. There were about four that were in a completely different class, and even they had some issues. The best, IMO, were the beat-boxer (Blake Lewis), Jared Cotter, Chris Sligh and Phil Stacey. Phil seemed nervous at the start, and he just mangled the first part of his song before redeeming himself a bit with a strong chorus. Cotter was a surprise. I didn't expect him to be strong, but he showed a lot of poise, great command of the lyrics, good enunciation and a good look. Sligh had some strong vocals, and he's really going to score a lot of points for taking jabs at Simon (He ridiculed his past work) and for his humor. Lewis didn't go with his beat-boxing, and he showed an ability to sing. But I didn't like his song. I wish he'd get into something a little heavier. I think he could put a new spin on the Chris Daughtry approach.

I'm just not impressed with this cast. Some of them are so weak that it's truly sad to see them in the running. We have a lot of ethnic/racial diversity, but I wonder whether some of it was pushed upon the judges. A few of the guys just aren't good at all.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agreed - particularly about Blake Lewis. Loved the song choice ("Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane).

Although I thought Chris came off like a prick making the Il Divo joke. He needs to follow the lead of Beatbox Guy Who Didn't Beatbox -- Chris needs to learn not to have a smartass quip ready every time the camera is on him.

Draft saved Draft deleted