1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

american idol -- 3/20 -- possible spoilers??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Mar 20, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Usually I work tuesday nights and don't get to see them sing.
    This week, Sanjayayayay looked awful and sounded worse. I see what the fuss is about. It was like listening to someone at a high school talent show.
    Bitch of it is, his attitude is like "I will be back"
    Alvin, Simon and Theodore have no one to blame but themselves for putting him in the top 24

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I missed today's show. I need to set my DVR to record every episode of this. I suppose I'll have to just watch the recaps tomorrow night. Did anyone do anything particularly horrible other than Vajayjay?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I thought Phil Stacey was death.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I've thought that for a couple weeks.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, but he was REALLY bad tonight.

I thought Lakisha struggled too. She sang it OK, but it was weirdly off-beat to me, and well, just weird. As said earlier, Gina wasn't real good either. I could take or leave Chris Sligh at this point.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Lakisha seems to be getting too-big-for-her-already-humongous britches. Lulu tried to talk her into doing a song that would have been in her wheelhouse, but she decided to do that cliche-fest song about diamonds that went kind of flat.

My final three prediction: Melinda, Jordin, Blake.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's the reason Sanjaya will be back next week. Dude sucks each week, he keeps getting votes for no good reason.

Blake, Jordin and Melinda, however, deserve every vote they get.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

I was quite disappointed that while most of the contestants struggled to stick with the theme of the week, two of the singers were allowed to skirt the theme to their own advantage. Songs from the "British Invasion" were 3-minute pop/rock AM radio tracks, so I was interested to hear which "British Invasion" song Lakisha would attempt to pull off. Instead, she offered (Shirley Bassey's?) theme to the Bond film "Diamonds Are Forever". The movie may have been released in the 60's, but that song was about as much a "British Invasion" song as the theme to 'Dreamgirls'. Same goes for the song from the musical stage production 'Oliver' that Melinda performed. She was outstanding, but that was a show tune! If the producers are going to present theme weeks, they should hold all the amateurs to whatever that theme is supposed to be. Or at least define the parameters of the theme. That said, the Sparks girl nailed a true "British Invasion" song "I Who Have Nothing", and thereby won the night.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The people of India called. They wanted to know if they could replace Sanjaya with this guy:

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This is the first competition show I have seen (I saw some of the tryout stuff). Haley and Jordin were delish and sounded good (tho Haley's outfit was goofy). I liked the Indian guy's presence (tho every note is clearly a life-and-death struggle for his voice). The rocker gal was quite unimpressive. I like Chris' voice, and the next Meat Loaf has yet to be found, so he may have a chance, tho he looks nothing like an Idol. That bald guy looks like he's trying to channel the lead singer of Live, but doesn't have nearly the chops.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Sanjaya's version on "You Really got Me" may be the worst AI top 12 performance ever. That was absolutely fucking awful. Ray Davies needs to track down that kid and beat the hell out of him.

He's in a class all his own now... but Phil was horrible, Gina was mediocre, and I totally agree that Lakisha and Melinda didn't even come close to fitting the category. (And honestly, Lakisha wasn't all that good. This is exactly the kind of performance that could knock her out early.) And I haven't really noticed it before, but Chris Richardson has no range at all.

I thought Blake and Jordin were the best. Melinda was great but I'll dock her a few spots for singing a damn show tune. Sligh was average at best, but I'll give him credit for picking a really great song.

Anyone else astonished that none of the women did "Son of a Preacher Man"?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

When they said "Dusty Springfield after the break," that's what song I assumed they meant. Surprised me too.

Draft saved Draft deleted