1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

The group is pretty evenly matched. Haven't had a female winner since Jordin Sparks in 2007. Maybe this is the year for some one of Latino descent? Pacific Islander?

Picking 4 guys and 4 gals who I see having a good shot:

M: James Durbin, Clint Jun Gamboa, Tim Halperin, Jacob Lusk

(I'd pay to have Scotty McCreary's voice but I don't think he's gonna do well now that the idiot-voter public is in charge)

Durbin and Lusk have to be careful of over-Lambert'izing on the high notes. It's a powerful tool but one that is always on the thin line of overkill.

F: Naima Adedapo, Haley Reinhart, Karen Rodriguez, Pia Toscano

(Rodriguez "ain't no dummy" ... going with both a J-Lo song and a Selena song during the process. But that's also a big risk.)

Jones and Wilson might be too much like each other and neither will break through. This stage -- the live performances -- might just be where Alaina and Megia falter simply because of their age.

P.S. -- What about the idea of, when cutting to the top 24, giving the judges a handful (4 or 5) of 'free passes' -- where the best of the eliminated get a bye from the first round of next year's auditions and go straight to Hollywood week?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

3. printdust

printdust New Member

4. Steak Snabler

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

dunno if this is legit or a typical a.i. publicity move, but if it's legit and casey has to bow out that would be HUGE. i'd have to think he's an early frontrunner. the judges sure loved everything about him...

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny - I haven't heard anyone sing a note this year, but saw a picture of the 24 and could probably cross off at least half as having no chance.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Casey is probably one of the contestants you would've crossed off, but I think he's the most talented person in that group of 24. I really, really hope he is able to perform tonight.

8. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Wow. Yeah, he's been good. Probably the most consistent dude, plus he's a bit unique with his style.

9. Steak Snabler

Looks like he's gonna perform tonight:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20469196,00.html

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

maybe seth rogen can sub for him

edit: or maybe not

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

the resemblance is striking, indeed. very glad those who haven't seen him now still have a chance to see (and hear) for themselves.

12. Steak Snabler

Some thoughts after the men's top 12 on Tuesday:

* It took such balls for James Durbin to sing a Judas Priest song on American Idol, but he blew it out.

* Paul McDonald has freakishly white teeth and dances a little like Billy Squier, but the guy's got charisma and a very distinctive voice.

* I generally hate that type of country music, but Scotty McCreery's talent is undeniable. I'd love to hear him sing an up-tempo Johnny Cash song.

* Clint Jun Gamboa, Stefano Langone, and Brett Lowenstern (who's a weird little shit, but a helluva performer) also did well, but to me it's a two-horse race as far as the men are concerned:

Jacob Lusk --- As Eddie Murphy once said of Michael Jackson, "he ain't the most masculine fella in the world." But good God, can he sing.

and

Casey Abrams --- So talented and so different. He's clearly the judges' favorite, but not sure the home audience agrees.

Draft saved Draft deleted