1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I don't know where this is going.
    It's becoming a mix of American Idol and Toddlers and Tierras. It would really make it interesting with all these "junior high" contestants if the parents get involved with their kids' auditions and we have some meltdown brouhahas between parents and judges, or at least spectacle parental sideshows.

I'm sorry, but this rush to find the next kid vocalist just ain't doing it. They're not mature enough and yet there's shitloads of them going to Hollywood. What are we going to have, camp counselors? I want to to see the backstage Glee theatrics, hell, I guess that's what they're pitching for too.

While almost every ratings category is down, I bet the pedophile category is up. Whoever thought of this concept was just reaching, and they'll reach so far that Simon will kick them in the groin with his new show.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

J-Lo does look great in HD, though.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Especially the way she accessorizes her clothing to cover her... ass-et.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

seems to be some friction between randy jackson and steven tyler, especially with randy trying to be the bad guy too much.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The thing that really bothers me about Idol is the need to lie to viewers about the auditions.

Producers try to make it look as if they funnel everyone from the large arena right in front of the judges, but that is not true. After numbers are winnowed way down, contestants comes back weeks later for the actual tryout for judges.

Why the need for the lie?

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Seacrest actually believes it at times, lol

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Weighing in now that I've finally seen the episodes (sorry to disappoint you, printdust).

That last girl in Nashville, Lauren? I'd pay money to watch her sing right now.
    The guy who sang Josh Turner had me from the first note. I loves me some Turner.
    The girl who SUCKED and then claimed they didn't like her because she was fat? She can go choke on a bowl of dicks.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

I just threw up a bit in my mouth at the vision of your imagery, girl.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's an old-school SJ reference.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Lie? Eh.

It's a TV show. Like all TV shows it heightens certain things for dramatic effect. The contestants all start with the arena tryouts before eventually facing the judges, and anyone who ever gave it any thought knew that all 20,000 in each city didn't actually face the judges. It would take weeks.

They've always done it this way. The only difference now is that they're putting the judges in interesting places (like the Ryman Auditorium or the museum in Milwaukee) instead of a generic hotel conference room. That's making it more obvious that the location is different.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

At this point, saying American Idol may not survive these ratings is like saying UConn will eliminate women's basketball since this season is such a letdown after last year.

AI still beats the hell out of the competition and makes millions of dollars for everyone involved. It's not going anywhere.

I never thought I'd say this, but two weeks in I really don't miss Simon. The new panel is much, much better than I ever would have expected, and losing Ellen and Kara is a huge improvement.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

When in the hell did American Idol and Hulu part ways? I thought I remembered watching it there last season.

Draft saved Draft deleted