1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2009

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

From the story you apparently misread the whole way through.

And no, they didn't accidentally show up. They were invited. Adam's peeps should have invited them. Sorry, hosers.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No point discussing it with you.

3. imjustagirl

Discussing what? If you believe that AT&T formed those parties, then fine. There's no proof of that, but whatever.

Otherwise, I don't understand what there is to discuss.

4. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

The AT&T representatives should not have come. Yes, they might have been invited, but isn't it their responsibility to say, "Thanks, but no thanks"? They were representing AT&T at those parties. And because AT&T is the only mobile network that allows "Idol" text messaging, I would believe that's a violation of some degree. If all power votes (and I mean ALL, not just from those parties) were thrown out, then there's less of a problem. But AT&T needs to have a talk with these employees, for reasons such as this.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

People organizing Adam's parties should have invited them. I know the people who organized the party in Kris Allen's hometown and they worked tirelessly to get an AT&T mobile tower. When they couldn't, they asked AT&T to come out. A good chunk of that town is older and may or may not have or understand the technology as the younger people in Conway.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If we're going on circumstantial evidence ... I was a religious Idol watcher every year of its existence ... until this year. Just never could muster the will to sit through another season.

I literally saw maybe 90 seconds, all season, and that was mostly from walking by the TV while my wife had it on. I don't think it has the ratings clout it used to. I don't know anybody who really cared this time around.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Much of this controversy (and that's a stretch) would be over if Idol adhered to a one-person, one-vote rule. Spending four hours texting/calling means your preference counts more than someone's one-versus-the-other choice?

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

But then they don't get the fees for each time someone dials. The money is clearly what drives the show.

9. It wasn't an opinion. I was heading out the door to go home so I threw on a quick headline to get ppl to read it. I haven't even read the whole story.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I know. That's why I stuck my tongue out at you. :)

11. imjustagirl

Yes. If you care enough to call/vote more, then yes, your votes count more. Sorry.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A violation of what?

It's a TV show. And AT&T is paying for the right to link itself to the TV show. If AT&T has a chance to make more money by showing up, they should be there.

Draft saved Draft deleted