1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol, 1/16-1/17

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Re: American Idol, 1/16

I think the three best were:

1. Curly haired girl who sang "Over the Rainbow"
    2. The 16-year-old boy who had that spot on his nose whose parents didn't want him to try out. Got a lump in my throat when he called his mom to say he made it.
    3. The navy dude.

Overall, pretty bad. Lots of Michael Boltons up there.

2. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

From the previews, it looks like Seattle is going to be even worse.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Are they doing more than one week of previews this year? The website only implies this weekend, but I can't see them cutting us off the good stuff after two episodes.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now now. We all know she was "tired" after "doing a day-long round of interviews" and that she "might have been nursing a cold" and that "everything is fine" and she only needed a day off to "get over being tired."

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What would all of you sing on American Idol?

Me? Easy. My Humps.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Something by the rising band from Los Angeles: Warrant.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Something with a lot of scale ranges beyond my ability and vibrato moments in which my voice will crack. The judges really seem to get up for that.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'd only ever consider trying out for 'Idol' if I had the chops to sing 'Moon River' by the Mavericks.... but I don't, so I won't. But if I did.. that's what I'd belt out.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That'd be worth it just to see Paula try to pretend she didn't know who they were.

"Actually, Paula, Cold Hearted knocked Heaven out of the no. 2 spot in August 1989."

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Oh, how I do love the first few episodes of this show.

It's not so much the dream crushing or the feel-good stories that I like. It's watching as the people who you know are complete assholes have their legs swept out from under them. Like the voice teacher guy. You know that guy's a complete dick on a daily basis. And Simon, with the "I think we've had some of your pupils in here today" line, just kills him.

What I've never understood about these first few shows are the people who are there with these terrible singers, encouraging them to do this shit. For the love of God, they know their loved ones can't sing. And at some point, they've at least walked into a store in which music was playing and should know the damned difference in quality. Why are they pushing their friends/wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends to go in and make complete fools of themselves?

Like that first girl's boyfriend. How could that guy listen to his girlfriend sing with that wretched voice and still allow her to go on the show? At some time prior to packing the tent to go wait in the AI line for two days, you gotta say, "Baby, you're terrible at this singing stuff."

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" by Milli Vanilli kept Heaven from going No. 1. That was a travesty.

12. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

No question about it. Just a Gigalo, the David Lee Roth version.
    boozlyboozlybop...zideebop.

Draft saved Draft deleted