1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Honest question .... is champ considered male? Why couldn't it refer to a woman?

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The line champ isn't why I think it's a guy, it's the fact they didn't die or go comatose on the first blow. I think based on the women's sizes, that bat would probably wipe them out with one swing, IMHO.

As for champ, it's traditionally a term used with boys, particularly young boys, but there really isn't any reason why it couldn't be used for a woman. It would be a nice feint if they took out one of the women, but I who among the women would it likely be who would elicit the line?

HC likes this.
  3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The dead walk the earth on the show, they somehow never hear clumsy zombies walking up on them, they are always short on ammo yet are constantly shooting things, they've had a scene where they were driving around taking out zombies left and right from a car like they were trained snipers, and suddenly you think they're worried about whether it's believable how many hits of a bat it takes to kill someone of a certain gender?

4. Spartan Squad

Well, when you phrase it like that, I guess it does sound ridiculous. But I wasn't thinking so much how many blows to the head it takes to kill a certain gender, more how many blows to the head it takes to kill someone of a certain size. The show could, because reasons, say a 110-pound woman can withstand a severe blow to the head with a barbed-wire laden baseball bat wielded by a dude with decent strength. And the show has offered a few FUs to the audience, so anything is possible.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

FWIW, in that scene in the comics it pretty much did wipe out the recipient (a male). He wasn't coming back from it, and he was more than just woozy after the first blow. It just didn't kill him outright. Since the rest of the TV scene was lifted word for word from the comics -- including the "He's taking it like a champ!" line -- we might all be overthinking this one too much.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I haven't read all of the comics, though I have read that particular scene/issue. They don't fully follow the comics, especially in the case of Darryl, but have leaned more toward that this season.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey ... if it was Michonne she's got all that hair to provide extra cushioning. :)

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

I'll buy that.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Did he say "He's taking it like a champ?" All I heard was "Taking it like a champ," without a gender specific pronoun

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

No pronoun in the TV version.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sad but true. This girl would make a better leader than Rick.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Funny, but it falls short without having someone made up to look like a zombie attack the car. Come on, if you're going to do it, you've got to commit to scaring the ever-loving hell out of the girl. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted