1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's Hell on Wheels

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good show. Loved the music.

Opening scene was a bit bizarre, and I didn't think they were gonna kill off the railroad head quite so soon.

The scalping was a little graphic, but overall we'll give it 4 out of 5.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I like it.
    I liked the opening scene... one of Sherman's war criminals got what he deserved.

3. This looks promising, but the poster above who mentioned its similarity to Deadwood, struck a negative chord with me -- and sort of confirmed a worry I had about this new show. If it's basically a Deadwood knockoff, it's going to be very easy to give up on.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm as big a fan of Deadwood as there is. Loved that damn show. But this show's only real similarity is that it's a Western period piece. Some of the characters and settings have similar qualities for that reason (as they do in many Westerns). I really liked it and will keep watching, but it's no Deadwood yet.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As I previously mentioned, the opening credits are a Dead-ripoff.

That alone isn't going to turn me off. Looks as if this has potential, and will give it every chance.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Episode 2: Underwhelming.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have only seen episode one, and it was so freaking bloody.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't disagree . . . but it continues to deserve every chance . . . unlike 24-karat crap like Pan Am.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Um ... really?

Let me count the ways:

1. The squinty-eyed, short-tempered protagonist with the mysterious past = Seth Bullock

2. The windbag railroad magnate giving speeches to no one in particular and making up the reporter's news story = a cheap knockoff of Al Swearengen

3. The woman whose husband is killed and is surely destined to fall for the protagonist = Alma Garret

4. The two Irish brothers running the picture show = basically a stand-in for Sol Star

And as someone said, the bluegrass music intro could basically be the second song on the "Music of Deadwood" CD.

Watched the first two episodes last night, and I wanted to like this show much more than I did. It's going to suffer from inescapable comparisons to Deadwood unless it really changes direction.

That said, I did dig the Swede. And I like Common as the freed slave.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

VERY fair and appropriate, methinks.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The comparisons don't matter to me, simply because I've never watched Deadwood. I'm surely not the only one here who hasn't.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

Mr. Swede, or however you spell it, was great.

Draft saved Draft deleted