1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing Race 14 Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Feb 11, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

If we do that, though, may I suggest Strawberry, -- not Cherry, as the pies on Sunday were --, please....?

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Phil has also come out to personally Philiminate (and can I say that I LOVE the fact that the AR producers have adopted the term) teams who have fallen way behind in non-final legs as well. If you're doing a task and you see Phil, that's not good.

I still like Luke and Margie (and it looks like Phil is going to sign to them at check-in every time, which is cool) but they are going to have to be very careful in their division of labor regarding the Roadblocks. I am interested to see how they handle it if Luke ends up having to do a task that involves him interacting with locals by himself.

3. Team Guido ended up a day or two behind in the S1 finale. That was nuts. Oddly, they also ended up about a day behind in All-Stars with Danielle and her guy. It is rare though.

The Philiminations are usually quite sad, like last year with Toni and Dallas. Man it must be embarrassing to fall that behind.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I Tivoed the first two on Travel Channel this year, since I missed them on the first broadcast.

I still heart Phil.

5. Have they been on recently? I try and check every once in awhile to see if there is run of episodes of past seasons on.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know they showed the first two from this season tonight, because my Tivo recorded them.

I should get the rest of this season live.

7. So did anyone catch last night's episode?

It was a good one. Tammy and Victor sure had some struggles. They looked like the perfect team but Victor's stubborn nature, especially when it comes to Tammy, puts them in danger on any leg. His insistance on walking up that hill was nuts.

I also liked the gymnastics challenge. Not because it was overly interesting but because Amanda looked dang good in that leotard. She's a hottie, one of the hottest in TAR history that I can remember.

As for Brad and Victoria, they seemed nice enough and that is some rough luck.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, Victor kept digging a hole deeper and deeper by not wanting to admit being wrong to his sister. There was some great raw meat for pop psychologists there. I hope they get over whatever those issues are.

Aside from that maniacal segment there wasn't much compelling about the episode, though I kept thinking that if the hicks had been there they would have smoke that Gypsie moving detour.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

If I were Tammy, Victor might very well not have gotten back down the mountain in one piece, race be damned. It's unfortunate (but necessary) that the Racers have to maintain a certain maximum distance between each other - I wonder if Tammy wold have just headed back down without Victor had that rule not been in place.

As for Brad and Victoria, yes, the fog was bad luck, but trying to make a tight connection in Amsterdam was just bad racing, plain and simple. One of the biggest rules of the Race is NEVER book a flight with connection(s) if a nonstop is available. Too much risk, not nearly enough reward, especially if you can't guarantee that there will be an Hours of Operation bunch at wherever your next task is.

10. Very, very true. And, the thing is, they were only getting a short time before the other racers (I believe like 25 or 30 minutes). That small amount of a lead is definitely not worth it because of the obvious risks.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yeah, I slept through the first 15 minutes so I basically woke up when they hit the ground in Romania. Tammy saved Victor, plain and simple. I think going to Transylvania is totally fucking SWEET and I now want to go visit that castle.

I feel bad for B&V because they were good racers and in shape and they didn't bicker but I can't feel that bad, knowing that they did have the option to get on a nonstop flight. Plus, while it must be good to get on a flight with no one else on it, I would think especially in the early legs, I would be more comfortable with getting on a flight with a lot of people. That way, if this happened, everyone was screwed and you weren't left behind.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

I knew the older couple was doomed when he decided on a connecting flight. I used to travel a lot between smaller airports and learned to allow a ton of time for a connection or pay more for a rare nonstop. The father-son writers are hanging in there, and they have a good attitude about the race and about each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted