1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing 60 Minutes story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 2, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did anyone just catch the 60 Minutes story about scientists using electrodes to connect the human brain to computers? It was astounding. They showed a pair of paralyzed people who could control computers (which helped them to speak, work, and even drive a wheelchair) with nothing but their thoughts. It had a monkey operating a robotic arm to feed itself with its thoughts. It's pretty nuts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/31/60minutes/main4560940.shtml

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just saw that. Amazing.

The other story I liked was the guy who was busted for impersonating a federal officer and was pissed that he was probably going to jail even though he "had arrested drug dealers".

Guy was a piece of work

3. For more on BCI check out this article from last month's Esquire. Pretty fascinating stuff.

http://www.esquire.com/features/unspeakable-odyssey-motionless-boy-1008?click=main_sr

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, the lady with the computer plugs put in her head skeezed me out a bit.

The technology we have no is truly mind blowing. The wife and I were discussing this, and I don't consider that living. I would just assume pass and save myself and my family the agony of me having to go through this. Of course, I may change my mind if it did happen to me.

The fake cop guy was funny. And the dude Katie Couric was talking to who was busted for the pound of pot, what a freaking idiot. Man, this guy thought he was doing some good and instead costs the city millions of dollars in lawsuits potentially and lets off a bunch of drug dealers.

But I would like to get some of those Justice Dept. business cards!

5. bigpern23

It was like some scientists were sitting around smoking a bowl and watching "The Matrix," and said, "Dude, we should totally do that to someone's head!"

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

60 Minutes was good all around, thought the National Guard story was disturbing. Can't believe employers don't get tax breaks when their employees go on active duty. Especially since the military is using the NG units to save money and stretch resources. Yet another sad side-effect of a prolonged misconceived war.
    Loved Andy Rooney's bit on concession speeches.
    Had one question on the con-man/narc - how did he support himself when he was playing at being a cop?

7. bigpern23

Sold drugs.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Solid.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I didn't get why Katie C. would have asked the guy whether he had search warrants when he entered the bad guys' houses.
    How could he have a warrant?
    He's a pretend cop.
    She's out of her depth on these stories.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe he had pretend warrants, signed for him by his friend the pretend judge.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If they can do this, how long until the guv'ment is reading your mind?

Draft saved Draft deleted