1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amato Isn't Bitter That He Lost To Akron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Just_An_SID, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

. . . oh wait, yes he is. (My God I hope I'm not D_Bing this).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2584709

I received my daily list of email links from the NACDA and was amused to see the story about the sour grapes that N.C. State head coach Chuck Amato had regardling his loss to the Zips last week.

"They're in a conference that allows non-qualifiers in school," Amato said during his weekly news conference, the Charlotte Observer reported. "Non-qualifiers. Do y'all need to look that one up to write your stories? ... Do you know what kind of players non-qualifiers are, usually? They're inversely proportional to what their grade-point average is. They can make a big difference."

According to the latest figures, the Observer reported, Akron's graduation success rate is 60 percent; NC State's is 50 percent.

Amato also defended his record, now 47-29. His teams are 24-4 in non-conference games, and the loss to Akron loss was his first to a school outside the BCS.

"We've won a lot of games around here," Amato said. "Some people need to be reminded of that."

-------

This stuff is hilarious. Poor Chuck has things wound just a little bit too tightly right now. Akron posts the biggest win in school history (I'm guessing) and all he wants to do is take pot shots at them.

I'm just guessing, but if Chuck was allowed to take partial qualifiers at N.C. State, he would have a roster full of them.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's N.C. State, the Harvard of the South, right?

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

Amato not making friends

Here are few links that make him look pretty stupid.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/18-769235.html

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/colleges/university_of_akron/15506458.htm

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He also called out Boise State, another school with a higher graduation rate. Terry Pluto's column on this yesterday is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I'd link it, but I'm a lazy bitch today.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Whoever melded the threads took care of the Pluto link for you. VERY good stuff.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Melded?

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Did Doc Holliday's suck buddy just say that non-qualifiers get into some school other than NC State?

8. micropolitan guy

Mama always says, Stupid is as stupid does.

Amato is more proof of that.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. 1995.

melded

ADJECTIVE: Joined together into a whole: combined, conjoint, fused. See ASSEMBLE

10. micropolitan guy

Melded.

That's what happened to Amato's brain during the presser. It melded and he said some stupid stuff.

(Great choice of words, IJAG)

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's a desperate man, now. He'll do and say desperate things. They're dogs to Southern Miss.
    We'll see.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not disputing the accuracy of the word.
    Just the use.

'round these parts, we call it merging.

Melding. Yeesh. All high brow and all.

Draft saved Draft deleted