1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amateur Night - Thanksgiving edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 26, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But amateur night is exactly the reason I don't like going to the bar on St. Patty's day. All the trash comes out. And they usually puke everywhere. And in college, all of the townies come out too. Nobody wants that.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Was this as a big deal 10 years ago as it is now? I (vaguely) remember going out on the night before Thanksgiving when I was in college, but I never noticed a New Year's Eve or St. Patty's-type feel to it.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lotta guys going out, pretending to be independent of their wives, before meekly returning to
    the fold, Thursday.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think it was always a busy bar night--not because there's some party, but people come home for the holiday and there's NOTHING to do the night before but sit and watch Uncle Fred pick his toenails. So, it's off to the bar!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun. I'll meet you and wear old shoes for the puke.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was a huge deal 14, 15 years ago. I remember being goofy happy when I could finally barcrawl on Thanksgiving Eve, legally, in 1994.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you have some L.L. Bean duck boots? You'll need the extra ankle coverage.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. I may be a little late. I have to starch my collar. It's not staying popped.

Will you grab a handful of limes for the coronas? Thanks, dude!

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

People come in from out of town, looking to get away from their families and go to the bar for a drink or two or a dozen.
    So you have Thanksgiving Eve drinking night and if the days fall right, Christmas Eve Eve is also a big drinking night.
    Inky, you got plans?
    I wasn't heading that way until tomorrow but I can make a change-up. I know you already have a built-in designated driver.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's got to be a pink shirt, Ace. Otherwise, you'll stick out like a cowlick

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nah, he was Norm.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ace, make sure your jeans are artfully ripped as well. And don't forget to rock the faux hawk hairdo with a puka-shell necklace.

Jay, the DD is not going any place this evening. Neither am I. Stupid work.

Draft saved Draft deleted