1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amateur Night - Thanksgiving edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Along with New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day and Halloween, tonight is one of the biggest nights of the year for bars.

Anybody venturing into the madness tonight?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What kind of "bars" are you talking about that have Amateur Night?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, no, no. Not that kind of Amateur Night.

I'm talking about pubs and bars stuffed with yahoos who can't hold their liquor. I'm talking idiots with popped collars ordering Coronas and Woo Girls singing along to Brown-eyed Girl. I'm talking bartenders raking $500 or more in tips. And cops pulling OT due to the increased DUIs.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll be out and about. Starting with someone in a bar I've never been to before. Closing it out in my regular joint with my typical group of friends. It's a dive bar -- dudes with popped collars get popped, though that's not to say there won't be amateurs there. We'll just be showing them how it's done.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No amateurs around here ... the Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans ran them out yonks ago.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We have a 6 p.m. deadline, so we are having all the young kids over to my place for a big dinner and then we are heading out.

Knowing my town, it will be filled with the biggest degenerates ever and I would be shocked if I didn't see a brawl or two.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I used to work in a bar on Amateur Night... what a mess...

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Bartender, waiter or busboy? I'm guessing busboy based on the "mess" comment.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm going out ... but it's to my regular spot where most of my people congregate and a friend of mine works bar.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

NEVER go out, on this occasion, but must, tonight . . . and in an area where regional police take extreme joy in setting up roadblocks.
    Two beers, and out.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I'll just drink by myself and fall asleep in front of my television.

I love Wednesdays.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Every year my friends and I do a massive bar crawl in Downtown Detroit. This will be my third one, and I'm really excited. We have 10 bars lined up and a stop at Greektwon at the end. One drink at every bar, except for the DD's who eat for free at the end of the night, plus free gas and early drinks.

I know what you are thinking too, who the hell would want to do a pub crawl in Detroit? Well, I thought the same thing, but the D will be full of suburbanites. It's one of the few great night's the city has, it makes this night better than our 4th of July and St. Patty's Day events.

Draft saved Draft deleted