1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amanda Knox found guilty on all charges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 4, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Been in the news for more than a year and I don't even live in Seattle. It was HUGE news in Italy. The biggest reason is that she is fresh-faced -- when she was arrested she was this pretty, YOUNG girl, the details about her made her sound like she slept around (not that that is illegal, but it is titalating), and the murder was so horrific and the leaked details so strange (drug orgies, mmmm.) and she was a foreigner in their country. There was also the possible "love triangle" angle.

The girl is clearly a ditz and clearly did some really wrong things after the murder, rather than keeping her mouth shut and not bringing any more attention to herself. But that doesn't make her guilty. I think she absolutely got herself convicted when she showed up for the first day of the trial smiling and laughing. The photos and video then got overplayed and she was turned into this remorseless monster by the Italian press. The case already big, but that circus made it even bigger.

And the fact that most of the jury showed up wearing sashes with the Italian colors should tell you a lot about the verdict. Again, she may or may not be guilty. And I have no idea how the Italian legal system works. But here that would be an automatic grounds for appeal based on a biased jury.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All of the lay jurors are required by Italian law to wear a sash during certain portions of all trials.

The fact that a lot of people are making a big deal about that fact shows how much of an attempt there's been to frame this case as something it isn't. She was guilty as sin.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hope she finds Randy Quaid and John Hurt in prison.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Guilty as sin? What do you base that on? I'm not bating, just too lazy to read up on this case...

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Really? Have you read the facts in the case?

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

This jury wasn't sequestered, and they were also allowed to be interviewed during the trial. Italy has one fucked up "legal" system, that's for sure.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not going to claim to know the ins and outs of the case, but a lot of what I've seen/read indicated that she's probably innocent.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have absolutely no recollection of this case whatsoever. Had no idea who Amanda Knox was when I saw the thread title, and still don't.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes.

I think people are confusing "the prosecution didn't present a case that would stand up to American standards of 'beyond a reasonable doubt" with "Amanda Knox was innocent."

She gave multiple, conflicting alibis.

She admitted to being at the apartment that night and hearing the murder, but apparently did nothing about it.

Someone had attempted to clean up the crime scene before police were called. Knox and her boyfriend would be the only logical suspects.

Even if you choose to believe everything the defense said about the forensic evidence and nothing the prosecution said, I think the circumstantial evidence is pretty strong that she was, at the very least, involved in the conspiracy and cover-up.

The Italian justice system may be shady and/or inept. The prosecutor may be a monster. But it's hard to look at even the undisputed facts in the case and come up with an interpretation that doesn't leave Knox heavily involved in the murder.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I was surfing through the channels a little last night, but forget which one this was on.

They had 4-5 people on to discuss and one said that In Italy, if you're rich and famous or a celebrity, you will always get off.
    Then went on to say, that Knox or her boyfriend were none of those.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

From what I've read of this case, you have to account for the influence of the British in this case. She was tried, convicted and executed by the British tabloids long ago.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've followed this slightly for a while now, simply because I've had to write the occasional update for a newscast.

Bottom line, I have no idea if she's guilty or not -- but I've been taken aback by the coverage, which has gone in assuming that because she's American and on trial in a foreign country, she's innocent and being railroaded by third world rubes.

It reminds me a lot of that model from Australia who brought the suitcase full of pot into an Asian country with harsh drug laws. People screamed bloody murder that it was a farce and she should be freed.. but no one seemed to have a very good answer for the drugs in her suitcase.

Amanda Knox gets portrayed in the press as Snow White. I think the AP stylebook now insists that second reference must be "the beautiful exchange student from Seattle." It points out that the evidence is circumstantial... but never seems to get around to pointing out what that evidence might be.

And that differs from the rest of the world how, exactly?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted