1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amanda Knox found guilty on all charges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 4, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What a sad crazy story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/04/italy.knox.trial/index.html

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Anyone who's read the Monster of Florence has to believe this verdict has about a 10 percent chance of being correct, considering the same prosecutor who completely mangled and massacred that investigation was also the one going after Knox. It'd have been like Mike Nilfong being put in charge of another high-profile rape case.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not necessarily.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Not a perfect comparison. And she might be guilty. But having read that book (if you haven't, you really should. it's astounding journalism), I don't know how anyone can have faith that one of the same people who was involved with the Monster investigation - and also used some of the same characters, such as a loony Art Bell-type as a part of the case - would not be screwing up the Knox investigation. Preston talks about the Knox case as well at the end of the paperback version of Monster. And he doesn't think Knox did it either.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey/archives/131443.asp

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She'll be out in 4 years and when she does, she will have Giada in her sights, I hope.

Still, it's the flimiest of convictions. In a U.S. court there would've been plenty of reasonable doubt to prevent a conviction.

6. Football_Bat

Flimiest? Meant flimsiest, sorry.

7. Haven't really followed this closely. But one of the things I heard on CNN tonight is that there were finger prints at the crime scene of one individual - who is already serving a 30 year sentence for this crime. The Italian prosecutor claimed that Knox went back and wiped all of her prints off everything. How absurd is that? I'm with Small Town Guy - I've read "Monster of Florence" and there's no way justice was served here. In an American court, almost any jury aside from the clowns that let OJ free would have found this poor girl not guilty. Our system isn't perfect, but the Italian system is a complete joke.

8. Football_Bat

I thought this was the MONSTER OF FLORENCE:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32880/

;D

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So does the American Government have anything it can do to fix this?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I haven't followed the case closely, but I'm curious as to why it has become such a cause celebre'. Are Knox's parents connected to someone in the media industry? The case doesn't sound that unusual to merit such press attention.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know that the US has sent Canadian citizens who've been convicted of a crime down there back to Canada to serve their sentences. The hockey player Mike Danton is the most recent example.

However, I don't think the US government can "fix" it.

12. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

In Seattle, this is big news because she is a local girl, went to prep school and university locally, and because the details of the case are so strange and brutal.

An attorney friend of mine, very conservative on legal issues, is convinced of her innocence, both legally and personally, where this crime is concerned. When being an off-the-wall ditz becomes illegal, he says, she's guilty.

Draft saved Draft deleted