1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Am I ugly" videos on YouTube

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: 'Am I ugly" vidoes on YouTube

Yes, Dick, you are.

3. Dick Whitman

Hey, no outing!

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the writer calls out YouTube and its safety measures. It's like asking the CEO of Smith & Wesson what kind of safety measures they're taking on gun control. The internet is a dangerous place, and it requires some level of responsibility (either from the child, which isn't likely to happen, or the parent). To me, YouTube has nothing to do with this.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I just glanced at the link, and didn't click on any of the videos. But those children are so young... whether they are pretty or whatever, they are going to go through complete changes in the next few years anyways. This is sad.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a 96% chance the answer is yes, so you probably shouldn't ask Dick.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"I can't see you. Please stand on a box or aim the camera down."

8. Dick Whitman

94 to 96 percent.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Joking aside, the scariest part of these videos is I would think they would make these girls targets for predators. And, no, I don't put this on YouTube. It's on parents to stop trying to "be cool" and make sure they protect their children, even if it pisses their kids off.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yup. Besides, the Internet only magnifies and expands the audience for the cruelty of adolescence. When I was in middle and high school, instead of the Internet, you had stuff like burn books and rankings of the cutest boys in class, etc.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The camera is placed incorrectly

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This isn't new. Remember the site amihotornot? Or something like that?

I also do lot of mentoring in another area, and as the question cross I've seen crap like this for awhile.

People seeking acceptance on their looks from their peers isn't new. Neither is people telling people they're not attractive, or people being mean on purpose.

The Internet just makes some of that crap easier, and it really stinks that suddenly media feels it needs to highlight this drivel. It's not a story, and by bringing attention to it, more people will do it.

The Web brings people together. Unfortunately, not always the right people. Introducing mean ones to insecure ones isn't in anyone's best interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted