1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only person who doesn't know why Paris Hilton is a story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jun 9, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I can't escape it. It was on every news program this morning and I truly don't know why. Is she more important than others who are sent to jail on legitimate charges? Am I the only one bothered by this?

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

casty, you really don't know why it's a story? we all know it's way overblown and the networks have gone batshit nuts with this thing. but it's at least a story when a celebrity (yeah, yeah, she's done nothing to earn that title but she managed to make herself a celebrity) gets this special treatment, has her release yanked out from her, acts like a hysterical nutjob in public and attracts an international media spectacle. no one is arguing that it's more important than the iraq war or immigration debates or whatever. but yeah, it's a story.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

casty, my friend

sadly, i do understand it. it's called the end of civilization as we know it. we're spiraling out of control.

some things make it seem okay to be on the back 9.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

completely pathetic. Is it too much to ask that she get violated -- badly -- during her time in the slammer? And that the pictures of that glorious episode are posted all over TMZ.com? I bet she screams for mommy again.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Maybe I'm the weirdo but to me the whole thing is a note. Or maybe a picture with a caption but that's it.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Every hear of Lizzie Borden? Killed her father and stepmother in 1892.

7. Yeah, it is too much to ask.
    Yeesh.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Ratings, circulation, late-night show hosts joke material, SportsJournalists.com threads. Don't you get it? :(

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I feel the same way Casty does. Sort of. I decry the wall-to-wall coverage we currently suffer, but I also remember that every modern American age has had its madcap heiress. 70 years ago it might have been someone like Doris Duke on the front page of every tabloid. Same screwball cultural impulse, different delivery system.

The one thing that never changes is the human appetite for gossip.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's a story because people care about it.
    I just don't know why people should care about it.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding! That's the question of the day! Why do people care about something like this, in which it provokes stories being done about a topic like this.

Hey John and Jane Doe, why do care so damn much about Paris Hilton? Are your lives so bad that you have to live through celebrities on a daily basis via television?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My wife interviewed an 87 year old woman the other day.

The woman asked her "Why do you people write so much about that hotel girl?"

Draft saved Draft deleted