1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

am i the only one who finds the nfl boring?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HoopsMcCann, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Re: am i the only who finds the nfl boring?

So every game is important but USC's season is effectively over? Then guess what? Most games don't mean shit if one loss and the championship is blown.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

NFL boring?

I cannot believe I am reading this post.

The NFL is a chess match of the highest order with men's careers ending at any time because of the sheer violence of the hitting. The athleticism it takes to catch a pass in traffic or make an open field tackle is awe inspiring.

And every week is important. If you want to play in the Super Bowl, have home field advantage in the playoffs is paramount. 3-4 losses and your home field is gone. Heck, this year in the AFC, probably two losses and your advantage might be gone.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Games between bad teams are hard to stick with, without a bet.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is true for any sport.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If the NFL players went on strike, I wouldn't miss it. The NFL is way down the list of games I'm interested in watching. It's also irritating to endure the hype before every season starts in which announcers act like they're kids the day before Christmas.

I'll take it over the NBA and soccer, but little else.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I enjoy watching the NFL. I also enjoy the nap I always take during the games.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably more shared truth in that than I want to admit. It's not the must-view it was to me a few years ago, but at the same time the teams I watch are different. I dont see the Lions every week, but have a steady forced diet of Tampa, NO, Atlanta, Carolina and Tennessee with an occasional Seattle game so the Bammers can watch Shaun Alexander..

8. Re: am i the only who finds the nfl boring?

Thanks for checking in, Mr. Cowherd.

Count me in the NFL = boring crowd.
    Baseball playoffs now & college hoops starting in 4 days.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I rarely find myself watching an entire regular-season game unless the Steelers are playing these days. I'm nowhere near the NFL junkie that I was 10-15 years ago. But when the Steelers are on, they still have my attention.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have been thinking about something a lot recently. I have become very blase about sports over the past several years. I just really don't care about anything that happens in any sport anywhere. Hell, I never even know when/if/who Duke is playing in hoops. And I guess Duke would be the exception to what I'm about to say.

But I think I've faded away from baseball and the NFL because of prolonged periods with no one to root for. I was an Indians fan. The day the strike came, I missed it for a bit...and then I was just done with it. I found other things to do with my days at the end of that season. And for the NFL, the day the Browns packed up and headed East, I stopped watching the NFL. When they returned, I just didn't know anything about the NFL anymore, who was good, who wasn't, and I didn't care enough to learn.

So here I sit, honestly remembering about 10 minutes ago to go see if the Indians won last night, but I really don't know why I just don't give a shit any more.

But yes...the NFL is boring. :D

11. IU90

IU90 Member

Certainly can't say I find the NFL "boring", but I'll agree with others who've stated that they find college games to be more interesting, just for the greater variety of contrasting offenses and systems, and the distinctive fan scene and enthusiasm that goes with the college game. If it weren't for national phenomenon that is fantasy football I doubt quite so many would be watching on Sundays.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No, you're not. I'd rather watch the grass grow or clean out my garage than watch an NFL game.

When "Monday Night Football" was a special event and every game wasn't available, it was fun to watch. MNF was something unique. Today's oversaturation of the NFL and other sports has eroded any special feeling to the point of numbness. It's too much.

NASCAR is the same way. Sunday's race from Talladega wasn't exciting at all. From 200 mph just 20 years ago to boring, long lines of the CoT.

Draft saved Draft deleted