1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

am i the only one who finds the nfl boring?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HoopsMcCann, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Re: am i the only who finds the nfl boring?

Today's NFL is.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Pretty much, yeah.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Almost. Last year, it was 12:17 thru 12:29 a.m. You know me too well. 8)

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Nicely put. That's why I prefer college games.

And when I watch NFL, that's what I expect to see, but I wish it wasn't such machine football anymore. I liked it a lot more when quarterbacks called their own plays and went for the big strikes and razzle-dazzle more often. That was a great era in the NFL.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I pretty much only watch teams that I have a rooting interest in.

That's really for all sports, too, not just football.

I think part of that is having seen so many sports events where I'm covering, that you don't get as excited about sports unless it's one of your teams.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Definitely agree with that, although I would change to "I only routinely get excited about sports if it's one of my teams." But I still watch sports all the time, and go to games on off days because I enjoy being at a game more than almost anything else. I just don't get all excited unless it's something memorable or historic.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sadly, I'm starting to find most sports boring. I think I justs like reading about them or writing about them. Except golf. I could watch me some golf for hours and hours.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Like Seinfeld said about McDonald's...80 billion served: Ok, I'll have one. I'm satisfied.

With the NFL, I'll watch a game...I'll be slightly enthused. But to me, it's football. A lopsided NFL matchup is just as boring to watch as a lopsided high school football game. Maybe, as Double Down alluded, everyone's got the sport they love to watch. Maybe if you can appreciate the nuances, the NFL is for you. But to me, it's just McDonald's.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good point. I don't get rah rah yeah yeah with my teams much, unless they win something big.

And to amend my statement a little bit, I do find myself watching the baseball playoffs (even though my team isn't in it). It is kinda nice to be able to just watch the game. I think baseball is the one sport I would go if it wasn't my team.

Of course I'd still be keeping score of the game. I can't remember the last time I went to a game and didn't keep score.

10. boots

boots New Member

If you are wtching the game on the tube, the feeling is different than being at a live event.
    When I watch the tub game, I get more excited over halftime. Kind of got that way from years of listening to Howard Cosell on MNF. He made halftime a treat with his highlights.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure if I could only watch 3 or 4 pre-selected college games on each week, I'd find college football boring too. The thing is, even if the Browns upset the Pats today, it wouldn't have meant that much. Watching the NFL is like rooting for numbers on a pair of dice. I see a result, and it doesn't tell me anything in particular or have much impact from week to week.

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

More frightening than boring.

And the timeouts are interminable for televised games.

But boring? Sure, some of 'em. I think I missed a boring game this morning when I had other things to do. Watched a few initial minutes of Bears/Packers tonight and moved on to an old Spenser novel. I don't think I've read it more than twice before.

I'm a mlb, college basketball sort of guy who would rather play golf than watch any sport on TV. But if you're of a John Clayton mindset and live for pro football, that doesn't bother me in the least.

Draft saved Draft deleted