1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only one who doesn't get Sacha Baron Cohen?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's funny when he has a role forced upon him ... he was the funniest part of Talladega Nights.

His own characters are, for the most part, howlingly unfunny. I just have no interest in that style of humor.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've been at wakes that had funnier moments than Borat.

3. Low Battery

Low Battery New Member

That's pretty much how I feel. I laughed very hard at Cook's "Where's the fuckin' van" bit, but that's it. Baron Cohen has made me laugh a little more often, but I have a hard time watching him, or the Jackass guys, screw with unsuspecting people.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't find Cohen funny either. I've never really liked the "Ha ha, sucker!" school of comedy.

That said, he's a fucking genius compared to Dane Cook.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he's a genius. To pull off what he does as Ali G, Borat and, Bruno is amazingly difficult.

That said, once Bruno comes out, he'll be done. He'll either need to come up with more characters or he'll have to become a more mainstream actor.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Seen Dane Cook do standup on TV...I Didn't laugh once watching the entire segment.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i enjoy cohen. but i certainly see how many don't get him.

dane cook? can't stand his standup but think he's a pretty good film actor. go figure.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm in the unfunny camp, at least with his own characters. He was good in Talladega Nights. Borat had some funny moments, but it really seemed like he was just insulting people different from him. It was more rude than it was funny. The bit at the rodeo where he butchered the national anthem for the sake of a comedy bit -- hailed by some as comedic genius -- was not amusing to me at all.

9. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I absolutely love Borat ... it's hard for me to see how people can't find that character funny.

I think the trailer for Bruno is funny too ... but I don't think the character is nearly as funny as Borat. I have the feeling that I'll like but not love Bruno.

10. Mizzougrad96

The dinner scene in Borat is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

11. Mizzougrad96

Bruno won't be anywhere close to as successful as Borat. I think the gay humor is going to make a lot of people uncomfortable enough not to see it.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I like the Ali G character (especially the interview with the DEA agent), but don't care as much for Borat or Bruno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.