1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only one annoyed by double proper nouns?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HandsomeHarley, Jul 22, 2011.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The stupid "Joe Blow says blah blah blah..." and "The boy is rushed to the hospital..." (He isn't still in the process of being rushed to the hospital, dickwad AP) aside...

Am I the only one sick of reading double proper nouns in news/sports stories and headlines because people don't seem to have a clue that it should be TIME, DATE, PLACE, in that order?

Oakland defeats Detroit Tuesday

Who the fuck is Detroit Tuesday?

I agree that the word "on" should be used only to break proper nouns, but by following the time, date, place rule, it avoids the conflict altogether.

"The game has been scheduled for 6 p.m. Friday at Bumblefuck Stadium."

Nice, neat, concise.

/rant

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Detroit Tuesday bugs the hell out of me. But adding "on" as a solution is also fine with me.

3. JPsT

JPsT Member

I always think of English soccer club Sheffield Wednesday when I see something like this.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Are you going to see Jeff Saturday Saturday or Sunday?
    We always got a chuckle when Rick Monday did something Monday.

5. HandsomeHarley

Jeff Saturday and Rick Monday concur. ;)

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Tuesday Weld and Joe Friday cast a dissenting vote.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The problem with the bolded headline above is not the clunkiness of the "double pronoun proper noun", but that it makes it sound like it hasn't happened yet ... like it will happen NEXT Wednesday.

I remember a paper I worked at had a headline something like "Mayor John Smith dies Saturday."

I was thinking "What? Is he scheduled to be executed or something?"

A day that has already passed has no place in a headline.

8. HandsomeHarley

That's my problem with the AP style. It makes it sound like the poor guy is still in the process of dying, or hasn't yet but plans to.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Kind of like telling someone about an article you saw in USA Today ... today. Always catch myself on that one, and always have the awkward pause to go with it.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

If Rick's sister married Jeff brother, she'd be Nancy Monday-Saturday.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ruby's brother?

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I HATE the "Detroit Tuesday" thing and throw an "on" in there when I see it.

We had the headline Joe DiMaggio Dies Today when it happened. I argued against for half an hour. "What, are we going to load up and go kick his ass? Why don't we add an exclamation point?"

Draft saved Draft deleted