1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I reading too fast or did AP goof?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 6, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In their NASCAR main stories about the race today, is it me or did the AP fail to mention the name of the race in any of the writethrus?

2. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

I noticed an AP writer did that a week or two ago. (Pennsylvania perhaps?) I remember writing it in.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

AP hasn't been using the race names all year. It's "the Nextel Cup race at the Brickyard" or "the Busch Series race at Darlington Raceway."

I'm guessing it's their stand against being NASCAR's sponsor shills. Wish our paper did it.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like that.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Was just typing the same thing but IJAG explains it best.

My paper does its best not use sponsor names -- if at all possible -- in anything ... golf, NASCAR, football ... etc.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

AP started doing that last year in the midweek CAR package. When I pointed it out, people on here said I was crazy.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why do it in auto racing and not golf?
    How come the AP says that Tiger won the Buick Open and not the PGA event at Grand Blanc, Mich.?
    Golf and Tennis are just as guilty of using the sponsor names in the names of the events as NASCAR is.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

AP's had a bad week lately.

Noticed they put Bade Ruch (Babe Ruth) in a story earlier this week. Also Michael Vicki

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That would be a Terry Taylor question.

Good luck with that.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, that's a very good question. If they don't do it for bowl games or auto racing, why do it for tennis or golf? Can someone make the argument FOR keeping the sponsor name in there (other than it actually being the name of the event)?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Use the sponsor name once, and once only. They want more than that, they can buy ads.

12. You're crazy

Draft saved Draft deleted