1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I missing it or is there no thread on the drone in Iran's possession?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

Re: Am I missing it or is there no thread on the drone in Iran\'s possession?

I heard we can wipe the computer on the drone\'s hard drive clean remotely, which I am sure they have done. Not sure how much information there is left for the Iranians to glean.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I would think one of the first things they'd do when they built it was make sure they could mess with the hard drive remotely, including wipe it clean, if necessary.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One would think, eh?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It seems pretty well agreed upon that Iran won't learn much from it, but that Russia and/or China could glean some good engineering info from it in terms of control, stealth technology, etc. It is a top-secret drone that even the American people didn't know about, so I'm sure there's some stuff on board that might prove valuable to other nations.

I really don't know why they wouldn't have some remote-operated detonator for just this kind of situation.

I suppose the simplest explanation is that, other than what was on the hard drive, there's no information or technology that U.S. Government cares that much about hiding.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I thought these things flew at 40,000-50,000 feet. How is it that it's not in 12 bazillion pieces?

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

So, I lost my cell phone in Toronto a few years back. If I can find out where it ended up, we're okay to go bomb the Rogers Centre? Good to know.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. And it HAS to be in a billion pieces. What they recorded on that video was an obvious recreation.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not to discount your theory 3B, but if it was in a billion pieces, how did the Iranians accurately recreate it? All reports I've seen indicate that nobody outside of intelligence and military officials knew we had this kind of drone. That's part of what makes it a big deal that it fell into Iranian hands.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Google images? This thing is out there. It's not as secret as you think. It was spotted first in Kandahar two years ago. It must not be a huge secret. I watched it taxi by me on the runway there last summer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=RQ-170&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=DRboTqD6JIHHsQKM4MCUCQ&biw=1280&bih=603&sei=EBboTqydIq_0sQLLwemFCQ

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Now, why should the U.S. get the drone back if it was flying over Iranian airspace? Iran should claim the little-know international law doctrine of tough shit.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Call me when the Iranians are able to duplicate the technology and fly a 1970s glowhead around my ruby-red city park. #notlosingsleep

Draft saved Draft deleted