1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I just a wuss, or are there others?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I click on them all, because I want to know all of the pertinent facts about the business I love. Including the negative. I don't find the discussions on the other boards to be nearly as important or interesting. More fun, yes. Certainly not as helpful.

Before, I wanted to know what my chances would be at certain types of jobs. Now, I think the board provides valuable reminders to all of us that we need to seize power over our own careers, before decisions about the future are made for us.

To add a cliche, knowledge is power. Sometimes, it can give you the power to change your situation.

2. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read threads from time-to-time, but I haven't posted in a while.

I got laid-off from my paper back in October, and it's actually kind of depressing to hear people talk about doing the work that I used to love. Believe me, as much as taking calls and dealing with stupid coaches and throwing together the agate page in 10 minutes fucking sucks, in a crazy way you miss it when you lose your job. Basically, I miss the camaraderie. I know it counds corny, but you left work every night when the first run came off the press, and you felt like you got something done. There's nothing like when that last page is sent, everyone's done, and the first person says, "Hey, how 'bout grabbing a few beers after we get outta here?" And, one by one, all the sportswriters say, "I was thinking the same thing."

I've done a good deal of freelancing since then, mostly preps stuff, but I also have a gig covering some NFL stuff during football season, which is nice. Still, I actually miss the newsroom and the guys I work with, and my freelancing has dropped off lately because high school basketball season is over in my area.

There's no way to hide that it's depressing to really love doing something and to also be good enough at to make a career, but to have that career pulled out from under you because of circumstances beyond your control. I'm still working hard to stay in sports journalism, but I also work in a warehouse a couple times a week and just took a part-time job writing for the Web site of a nearby university. Pretty corny, PR-driven stuff, but it's work, at least.

It's a tough time for me. I'm getting married in August, so I need to start thinking about making some more money. I don't want to give up on sports writing, but I'm starting to think I should look into a new career. Hell, there's times where I'm not so sure I'd turn down a full-time job at the warehouse I work at if it was offered to me. It's good money, at least. Honestly, I'm not so sure I even want a "career" anymore. Just a job that's enough to make a living and be happy might be enough. I often think being a bartender might not be so bad.

Yet, sportswriting still has such a pull on me. When I'm covering a game, sometimes it doesn't feel like work. Sure, girls basketball games with final scores of 89-14 aren't much fun, but covering, say, a playoff football game that comes down to the last play, then sitting down and having to put it into words all within 30 minutes until deadline...I guess I kind of thrive on that.

Anyways, just the ramblings of a semi-employed sports writer debating on whether to stay in the industry or not. It's a tough time, no doubt, but you just gotta believe you'll be fine, whatever career or job you wind up in.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm never on here any more.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It has become kind of like the Richard Jeni riff about TV news shows: "Good evening. I'm Biff Anchorman, and here's the baaad news ..."

I was talking to a friend of mine a few days ago and it occurred to me that I couldn't remember the last time I got any good news, either in my life or with the industry in general. As a whole, journalism is in a pretty dark place. I don't know if it's altogether healthy to avoid that fact, but by the same token, I think it is healthy to seek out the positive things, no matter how small.

Are you a wuss? Nah. There's only so much hammering most people can take. Doesn't mean you have to give up your man card or anything. Now, if you listen to Metro Station or John Mayer, that's a whole nother sitcheyashun.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." ;D

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Excellent post. You've said something that a lot of us should keep in mind. I hope you're able to stick with sportswriting, even if it's just a moonlighting gig while you work at another job.

7. The hardest part is reading about people you know getting laid off. Even if they're just acquaintences, people you say "hi" to or whatever. Putting a face -- and a family -- to a name is rough. I remember the congratulatory e-mails sent around about a fellow scribe's new son. I remember another round of e-mails wishing him good luck after being laid off a few months later. Ouch.

Survivor's guilt I suppose. But I like Joaquin Andujar's advice: At least I'm not dead.

8. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

To answer the original question, yes, you're a wuss.

Stop soft-cockin' it.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

reading the journo threads impacts my mood in a big way. it's torturous watching what's taking place, what's happening to others and waiting for the hammer to drop on me (and my family).

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I read the journalism section because of my concerns for many former colleagues who I respected and liked very much. I want to know what's happening to them, even if it's bad news.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I always thought Mickey Rivers said that ... no?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, documentation and credibility is not Satchel Paige's strong suit ... but it sure wasn't Mickey Rivers, I know that.

Draft saved Draft deleted