1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I going to find myself face down in a ditch? (Please help me)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, May 4, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

As many of you know, they shut down some of the major online poker sites a six or so months ago, but there were still several big ones that stayed open. A long time Party Poker player, I lost my first choice, and took some time off, but eventually put some money in Bodog, a company which I'd seen around enough to think was at least somewhat reputable.

I was breaking about even, cashing out some, then buying back in and losing some, but I started to feel a little weird when I noticed the company that was charging my credit card was different every time I bought in. So I decided I'd never buy in again and play with what I had. So I was up to about $300, decided that was enough and tried to cash out. Well to keep cashing out, I needed to send Bodog a lot of credit card info, way more than I was comfortable with. Copies of the card and of my drivers lic. and stuff. But as I was mulling whether or not to go through with it, I kept winning and winning and winning. Finally, I was at $600, and I finally sent the stuff in and cashed out. They quickly said they'd drop a check in the mail. Great.

The check took FOREVER to get here. It said seven days in one place and 20 in another, and it was looking way more like 20. Finally it showed up probably on day 25 (last Friday, one week ago). I was thrilled, went and dropped it in my checking account right away, then bought some furniture I'd been eying. Well, I was excited when I got that check -- imagine my excitement Monday when another came via Fed Ex. It looked the exact same, the address for the company (some finance company in Ga, not Bodog) was the exact same, but the company's name was a little different, as was the telephone number. (Like Jim's Finance instead of Steve's Finance). Well what the hell to do? I decided they'd probably cancel one of the two checks, and that'd leave me overdraft if it was the first one, so I put the second one in too.

That was Monday. Neither check has been canceled yet. I'm getting close to the point where I think maybe they can't stop the checks. They haven't billed my original credit card at all either. My credit rating is also the same, no new mysterious credit cards or anything.

So, what's going to happen? I doubt they can do anything to me legally as they probably want their operation to stay as low key as possible. They could bill my credit card, but I'm not sure how close the people that sent me a check are related to the people that charged my credit card. I don't think they're very close.

Really, it seems the thing that might be most likely to happen is for two giant Italians to show up at my door with baseball bats.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Keep the money. Call the CC company whose information they have, tell them you lost the card and get them to cancel the old one and send you a new one.

3. "....flies buzzin' around your eyes, blood on your saddle."

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Tell Vito I said hello.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

If they ask you to go sport fishing.........I would recommend saying No.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

dude. You are so fucked... change your name too...

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I already burned off my fingerprints. That's a good idea too though.

Thanks

8. John

John Well-Known Member

That's what I would do.

And move to Guam.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pilot, hey, they win some, they lose some.

I wouldn't sweat it the way you've been dicked around.

Consider it a late fee.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You won't get whacked for $600. You'll only get a pretty good beatdown, some broken ribs and maybe some fingers.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Correct. A human life is worth no less than 4 figures.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I received a check from ESPN for something like $600. I periodically worked for various TV networks at sporting events, but ESPN didn't owe me any money. After debating the moral issues of cashing the check, I mailed it back to them, indicating that they didn't owe me the money.

A couple of weeks later, another check, this time for something like $700 arrived. Perplexed, I called them this time and asked what it was for. They told me it was for working the NCAA Women's Basketball first round games at a west coast school. Well, my school did play that week but not only did I not work for ESPN, but I didn't even go to the game.

Two days later the lady called me back and said that further review showed that the check was for somebody with my same name and that I should send it back to her. I joked that I had thought about cashing it, "and keeping the interest until you guys called to get it back." She said that I probably should have because they would have never caught the mistake.

Three weeks later, a third check comes in for just under $1,000. I cashed it and put it in the moneymarket, waiting for ESPN to call and say they made a mistake. Six or so years later, the money is still sitting there. I guess I can invest it because they aren't going to ask for it back.

Draft saved Draft deleted