1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

am i an a-hole for not buying candy for trick-or-treaters?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Oct 29, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good move on buying the candy. Kids have long memories.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Give out candy.
    People did it for you when you were a kid.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

My wife and I don't have kids, don't have any plans to.
    We'll have a little on hand Tuesday, but won't turn on the lights.
    We have a small dog who gets agitated by visitors, and really don't want to rile him up any more than we have to.
    That's just my opinion, though.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Hand out toothbrushes, or pennies, or fruit (all things I remember receiving as a kid).

And make sure to wrap your house and any shrubbery in plastic wrap and have a fire extinguisher handy. It'll make the eggs and T.P. come off easier and make the flaming bag o' poo go out easier. (all things I remember doing to people who gave my friends and me toothbrushes, pennies and fruit for halloween).

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hand out fruit and the cops will lock you up and throw away the key because mommy and daddy will think there's poison or a razor blade in it...

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Buy a couple bags of candy, put it on the porch, you'll be fine. Geez, what's it going to cost, five to ten bucks?

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's five or 10 better spent on something foolish.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Editudes are working, so this is moot for us. It seems the holiday is getting bigger, though, based on all the lawn/door decorations in our neighborhood. Pretty elaborate stuff, too.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Here, here.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Right, because why would you want to inject a little joy into someone else's life?

Giving out candy at Halloween has nothing to do with whether or not you have kids. You understand *why* you do it if you have kids, though.

Hell, the wife and I used to really go nuts on Halloween even before we had kids (unfortunately we lived on a cul-de-sac at the time and didn't get much foot traffic).

And for those that ignore kids, turn out the lights, etc. ... be thankful this isn't when I was growing up; that was grounds for egging or soaping of the garage windows. Nowadays, unfortunately (sadly?) it's all too structured.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Since we don't have trick-or-treating here on the 31st -- Pennsylvania decides it's spiffy to have designated trick-or-treat nights like a week beforehand -- I didn't have a chance to hand out candy. Was kinda sad, actually.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I knew Canadians were heartless bastards, but damn.

Seriously, I like handing out candy -- if I can't trick or treat, this is the least I can do. I lived in a house the past two years, and I always made sure I had two bags for whoever came by to trick or treat. I ran through one bag each time probably, but the thought was there. I turned on the porch light, put my lighted pumpkin by the door and waited to see what costumes came by.

This year, I'm in an upstairs apartment. I have no clue whether anyone will even come by for candy because of it, but to be sure, I bought the usual two bags today while grocery shopping with the fiancee. I might have just wasted $5. Don't care, though. I remember how much I loved Halloween as a kid, and I would hate not to give the same back to someone else's kids who might think of it the same way as I did back then.

But that's just me. If you don't give out candy, you best be away from the house. If you're home, no excuse.

Draft saved Draft deleted