1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I allowed to really like this Simmons column and also still be respectable?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the un-PC line about the players looking alike. Something that you can only slip in that way.

Liked the column, mostly because my daughter is nearly 2 1/2. After the Jets won last week, she was jumping around our bedroom yelling "J-E-T-S".

As long as he doesn't tap this well too often, it's a refreshing change of pace.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And the eight ball reference was great. Jeezum.

Sweet column. As for the notion he's turned into a softie because he's now writing what he used to bash ... well, that's what happens when you become a daddy. I'm not one yet, if ever, but I'd venture to say 99.9 percent of male sportswriters will take a stab at writing something about their kids when the right moment presents itself.

3. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

The same guy who feeds her ice cream whenever he wants to get her doing something. He shouldn't be so worried about keeping her off the pole ... he needs to keep her out of Jenny Craig.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Am I allowed to really like this Simmons column and also still be respectabl

It's a great line, and it was even funnier when Chris Rock used it years ago.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Writing about your kids is a dangerous, dangerous thing. Mainly, because your kids are never as fascinating to anyone else as they are to you, and because most of the time your kid isn't doing anything that much different than anyone else's. Except that your kid's parent has an 800-word hole to fill.

It's worse when it's your first or oldest child, and you're writing with wide eyes as if you've just discovered cold fusion.

6. Songbird

Really? So where's the reference point by Simmons? At least attribute it to Chris Rock somehow.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that the line has entered the mainstream enough that it doesn't need attribution.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe this is the start of The Sports Father Guy. I'll admit to being more likely to read that over the usual shtick of '80s references, but I might be in the minority. And I might get sick of it in two years as I did with him a while back.

9. Songbird

I don't think it's that mainstream. Good line, but widely used? Not so sure about that.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Am I allowed to really like this Simmons column and also still be respectabl

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ouch.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Enjoyable piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted