1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 24, 2007.

1. bubbler--a couple years ago when i discovered retro sheet (or whatever the site is called with all the old scores and box scores), i decided to take on that same project. It probably stems from me being a deadhead who likes to collect shows and make lists of tapes and shows i've been to.

Since i'm just as big a baseball fan as i am of the dead, i have many of my old ticket stubs, but there is still a lot missing so i'll try to remember a couple aspects of the game (hell, even if it was day or night), then narrow down my search from there. I keep a list of dates, games, winning and losing pitcher and if anything significant happend (my first time at x ballpark, so and so HR). I also try to keep track of how many times i have seen each team and where i've seen them (for example, i've seen St. Louis play in 6 different parks for some random reason)....i'm a dork but i swear i have a life...my wife thinks it's a little scary but she doesn't make fun of me too badly....

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd rather read a book on Bubbler Lore.
    Sandy Duncan did what?!?

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Dude, I saw Ministry around that time (different show, though), and it was easily the most brutal show I've ever been to. And I've been to Gwar concerts.

I got two black eyes that night. Trying to get my contacts out was a sum'bitch.

And Bubbler, I think there's gotta be a book project in here. As for where it falls on the cool-nerdy spectrum, I'd say it's either cordy or nerl. Not sure which.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Snuffy, say it ain't so!

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're right. I was getting him confused with Jacob Brumfeld, who right a home run against the Giants in '95 at Three Rivers. This is why I need to document this stuff.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Do it as a website first.

That way, you'll create a craze and a following, people will start trying to do it as well, and you can get a book deal thataway.

7. Bubbler

I've started and this is going to be a helluva task. I got through my first game. Here are my personal firsts:

First game: Oct. 3, 1976 -- Tigers at Brewers (Tigers 5-2)
    First AB: Chuck Scrivener, Tigers (flyball to CF), 10/3/76
    First Brewers AB: Robin Yount, 10/3/76 (5-3 groundout)
    First pitch: Gary Beare, Brewers, 10/3/76
    First hit: Willie Horton, Tigers, 10/3/76 (single, 2nd inning)
    First Brewers' hit: Jack Heidemann, 10/3/76 (3rd inning)
    First pitcher to surrender hit: Gary Beare, Brewers, 10/3/76 (single, 2nd inning)
    First run scored: Willie Horton, Tigers, 10/3/76 (2nd inning)
    First Brewers run: George Scott, 10/3/76 (4th inning, scored on E1)
    First pitcher to surrender run: Gary Beare, Brewers, 10/3/76 (2nd inning)
    First Brewers opposing pitcher to surrender run: Dave Roberts, Tigers, 10/3/76 (4th inning)
    First double: Willie Horton, Tigers, 10/3/76 (6th inning)
    First triple: none in my first game
    First home run: none in my first game
    First pitcher to surrender HR: none in my first game
    First RBI: Pete Garcia, Tigers, 10/3/76 (2nd inning)
    First Brewers RBI: Hank Aaron, 10/3/76 (6th inning, drove in Charlie Moore)
    First strikeout: Gary Beare, Brewers, 10/3/76 (1st inning)
    First strikeout victim: Marvin Lane, Tigers, 10/3/76 (1st inning)
    First Brewers' strikeout: Sixto Lezcano, 10/3/76 (6th inning, Dave Roberts pitcher)
    First walk: Bill Freehan, Tigers, 10/3/76 (3rd inning)
    First pitcher to surrender walk: Gary Beare, Brewers, 10/3/76 (2nd inning)
    First sacrifice fly: Pete Garcia, Tigers, 10/3/76 (6th inning)
    First sacrifice hit: none in my first game
    First stolen base: Mickey Stanley, Tigers, 10/3/76 (4th inning off Charlie Moore)
    First caught stealing: Sixto Lezcano, Brewers, 10/3/76 (2-5)
    First error: Marvin Lane, Tigers, LF, 10/3/76 (3rd inning)
    First Brewers error: Charlie Moore, Brewers, C, 10/3/76 (4th inning)
    First double play: Brewers (6-4-3, Robin Yount-Gary Sutherland-George Scott); GIDP: Jerry Manuel, Tigers, 10/3/76
    First Brewers' opponent double play: Tigers (1-2-5, K-CS); Steve Bowling K, Danny Thomas, CS (7th inning), 10/3/76
    First complete game: Dave Roberts, Tigers, 10/3/76
    First win: Dave Roberts, Tigers, 10/3/76
    First loss: Gary Beare, Brewers, 10/3/76

Note: Hank Aaron's last game as a player.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn, wish I could remember my first one. I'm probably missing a bunch from when I was 3, 4, 5 years old.

I've got 82 games documented on my list, and the first is Cubs-Astros in 1988 at Wrigley. Nolan Ryan pitched and Rafael Ramirez hit a grand slam. http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1988/B05290CHN1988.htm

But I know for sure that I went to at least a few games in Baltimore (my hometown) in 1987 because I have a distinct memory of Kirby Puckett throwing me a BP ball in the outfield, me dropping it, and him going over to toss it to me again. I remember that huge smile on his face.

Still love this idea, Bubs.

9. Bubbler

Your first AB is Gerald Young. I think you have me beat.

Your first hit is utility player legend Jim Pankovits. I think I have you beat.

Edit: I think the most fascinating thing about your box is that Mike Capel had more strikeouts (five) than Nolan Ryan (four).

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Jesus, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

As for games, I never was much for keeping track. I have no idea what my first game was; it was a Cubs game at Wrigley Field in the late 70s, but that's as detailed as I can get. The only Brewers game I've ever attended was the Randall Simon sausage-whacking incident. The game itself blew, but the weirdness of that whole episode and the three girls in the stands wearing nothing but towls (and the fact that it was $1 hot dog night) made it pretty memorable.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wait, there were three girls in the stands wearing nothing but towels at the Randall Simon sausage game? Damn, I missed that!

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Even more amazing? That wasn't even Rafael Ramirez's best game!

He went 5-for-6, 3B, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 1 SB for the Braves against the Giants on 9/8/83.
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/B09080SFN1983.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted