1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 24, 2007.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

All I remember from my first game was that it was a Sunday day game and Jermaine Allensworth went deep for the Bucs. I'm pretty sure that probably narrows it down to about 2 games.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Cool and Nerdy - and frickin' awesome, too!

I have every stub, from every game I've ever been to (that includes, MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA and CFL). And I have a program from all but two.

At one point last year, I started e-mailing newspapers looking for copies of sports fronts (you know, the matted/framed kind?) that were printed the day after each game.

My plan was to put the sports fronts on the wall in the basement of our house when we bought one.

It took for ever to go through the stubs and e-mail the papers only find out how a) scarce some of the prints were and b) how pricey they all were.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

As for its possibilities as a book, ANYTHING can be a book. "One Man's Baseball History" could be a drag, but it could be great if it's funny. Write some stuff in the vein of your pop-culture posts; break things up by including lists (ie, Ten Worst Managerial Decisions / Uniform Fashions / xxxx I've Seen; Five Important Family Functions I Missed to See a Ballgame, etc etc ), and who knows what could happen?

These days you might be better off creating a webspace/blog to do it (or, I guess, do it here), then after a while try to bring it to the attention of an agent/publisher. At any rate, you've got nothing to lose, and I know I'd read it.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't think this is nerdy.

I have a framed collage of ticket stubs from games I've attended.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

That, my friend, is spectacular. Skube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at 13 games of the Molitor streak, but I didn't see any of the 13 straight wins (only six at home, of course) to open the season because I was on spring break for the Red Sox season-opening series and in Florida at an AAU basketball tournament for the Rangers games in mid-April. We actually got off the plane coming back from our tourney on Sunday night just hours after the Easter Sunday miracle game. Man, that was amazing.

God, I wish I had the time to do this, but with all of the MLB games I've been to, I fear that it would be a month-long project without speaking to my wife or kids.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering how many Rob Deer strikeouts are involved here.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

If you can pull this off, it will be one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. Good luck.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I saw Jermaine Allensworth hit a home run against the Marlins in '93 at night, so your list is narrowed!

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I saw Jermaine Allensworth on "Perspectives" on Saturday NIght Live, one of the funniest sports skits they ever had.

"So, Jermaine, has anyone broken the color barrier since Jackie Robinson?"

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

What are the chances more than one person on this board witnessed Jermaine Allensworth hit a home run? He hit like 20 for his career probably. He was my favorite player for a few years because he homered at my first game. Looking back, him and everyone else on the Pirates from 1993-2000 sucked horribly. At least in the last 5-7 years they've had a few good players like Giles, Bay and Duke/Perez for one year a piece.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

After checking baseball-reference it appears he hit 15 for his career. His didn't start playing until 1996 thought Bubs so there's no way you saw him hit one against the Marlins in '93.

Draft saved Draft deleted