1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 24, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bubs:

I've got my "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" list all compiled already. Goes back to 1987, although I know I'm missing some in 1986-87 and '90-93. I'm solid from 1995-present. Got 'em organized chronologically and by stadium.

Haven't done "personal records" and compiling stats and all that, but I probably will get around to that one day. Very cool project. :D

Oh, and take advantage of Retrosheet to help clear up your hazy memory. There was one game where the only thing I remembered was that Damon Berryhill hit a home run against the Cubs in a matinee at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Narrowed it down a little bit, to 1992-94, looked up his box scores on Retrosheet from those specific years and found out exactly which game it was. Voila!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I did plenty of that, buck. And baseball-reference has significantly upgraded their site to include much of what retrosheet has in an easier-to-navigate way.

The games from when I was a kid were somewhat easy to narrow down, my dad almost exclusively took me to Saturday day games at County Stadium. I know I saw the Tigers in '79, but the only memory I had was running down an aisle in the upper deck at County Stadium and nearly getting a foul ball. When I crosschecked Saturday games with the Tigers there was only one option, and once I looked at the box score, I remembered that Pat Underwood started for the Tigers in that game. So I was certain on that one.

There's one from the late 70s that's pissing me off. I distinctly remember seeing the Red Sox on a Saturday afternoon and watching Yaz hit a home run. The Red Sox played Saturday day games against the Brewers on the first August weekend in both '78 and '79 and Yaz hit home runs in both of them! I'm relatively certain I saw the Red Sox in '78 because I remember the Red Sox' red hats (the Red Sox switched back to blue by '79) and I remember it being a game that was important to the AL East at the time, and for most of '78 it was the Brewers chasing the Red Sox, the Yankees rallied later.

Its been fun to go down memory lane. I think the coolest thing I discovered was that the first RBI I saw was Hank Aaron's last RBI. Cool not only because Aaron is the RBI king, but because my middle name is Aaron after Hank.

3. wow, Pat Underwood. Kokomo's finest, or was that his brother?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm sure I saw Tom Underwood at some point too.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

A little from column A; a little from column B. [/grandpasimpson]

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'd love to do that, and I actually have tracked down games I went to on the road. But it's too difficult to find out what hometown games I went to since I've always gone to 10 a year or so.

It's nerdy, but I like the idea a lot.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Even better if you can whip out Cecil Cooper's lifetime Bubbler stats and get a handjob from Lisa herself.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lisa Loeb is HOT!!!

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Larkin always seemed to kill the Brew Crew. It wasn't just you.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Barry Larkin became my childhood favorite some time in the mid-90s. My parents took me and my sister to games on two consecutive days while in Cincy. He hit three homers one day, two the other (I can't remember which came first). Later, I saw those two tremendous games mentioned on the back of one of his baseball cards and being impressed that I could say I was there for that.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here you go, Rusty:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1991/B06270CIN1991.htm

On June 27, 1991, Larkin hit two home runs off San Diego's Jose Melendez, driving in every run in a 3-0 Reds win.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1991/B06280CIN1991.htm

The next day, June 28, 1991, he hit three off Houston's Jim Deshaies, driving in six of the Reds' 8 runs in a win over the Astros.

12. I used to be able to rattle off the dates of every concert I ever attended along with which bands opened. Then I started working with bands in the late 80s/early 90s and completely lost track. Easy to do when you see the same band five nights a week. I do remember the date and venue of the most brutal show I ever attended (in terms of audience injuries):

Ministry at Club Clearview [Dallas, TX] on December 29, 1998

I literally had no hearing for three days afterwords. Plus I got a really deep cut in my arm as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted