1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alternatives to cursing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yippee ki yay, Mr. Foster.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wait until they install NewsGate.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm having a tough time with this at home. I feel lame saying horsefeathers (our new "bullshit.")

To this day I've heard my uber-religious mama utter the F-word once, and it was while Armando "Ball One" Benitez was in the process of blowing a save.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Liar. Benitez has never blown a save in his career.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

There are no alternatives. It is a newsroom. Tell her to grow a thicker fucking skin.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When I took my first job out of college, my editor and the other writers and deskers said two things: "Hello" and "You don't get offended easily, right?"

Coarse language comes along with frustration deadline pressures and dealing with absolute morons. I've never been in a newsroom where bad or "inappropriate" language is not allowed.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The last two newsrooms I worked in had no official sanction against profanity, but in both places, a number of coworkers clearly took umbrage with those who used off-color language. Come-guzzling cockfucks.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do i work with you?

9. writing irish

As one might expect, I was not a particular favorite of the no-bad-words crowd in either case.

No telling what sort of depravity lurked beneath their (surely hypocritical) aggressive Puritanism. They probably went into the restrooms and put Vicks Vapo-Rub on each other's taints during break.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

That sounds uncomfortable.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, he said taint.

12. writing irish

I just came up with that because we have a certain corpulent, perpetually-half-asleep coworker around here and we like to say he stays awake by vapo-rubbing his taint.

Draft saved Draft deleted