1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alternative careers.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Nov 14, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My wife's cousin is a meterologist with the National Weather Service in North Carolina. He went to school somewhere in Kansas to learn how to be one.

He loves the government rate for flights and hotels and car rentals.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe like a lot of sports fans in their 20s, I harbored thoughts of being a professional sports bettor. Ah, to be young and naive. But a guy I knew at a competing paper made a go of it. One year I was covering state playoffs alongside him, next thing I know he had moved to Vegas and was hooked up with one of the "consulting" services. Have no idea if he survived, and I can't remember his name all these years later, but that was fascinating to see.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I once met a guy at Palm Beach Kennel Club whose "job" was hanging there all day, betting on dog races and simulcast horse racing and making stock trades.
    He never bet on Jai alai because "you never know which of those bastards was out doing coke until 5 in the morning."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just till 5? Lightweight.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted