1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Already it begins: The bitching about USA Basketball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2524470&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dsheridan_chris%26id%3d2524470

I don't have Insider, so I can only guess how the rest of the column goes.

So here we go again: The U.S. shouldn't aim to dominate. Oh, no. The U.S. should just be happy **IF** it can win. Don't get greedy. Be patient. Walk the ball up. Play The Right Way.

2. Star --
    I don't understand the column, or what Coach Ratface is talking about, but I also don't understand your objection. Isn't Arenas saying he was told that they have to dominate every quarter of every game? Isn't that also called kicking ass? How do you read that as "don't get greedy"?

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I think this guy was on SportsCenter yesterday making the same argument, perhaps word for word.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like Shashevsky's message, which is how I play sports: you've got to kill, kill, kill the opponent. Is there something wrong with that mentality? Scrap the goddam team if they don't buy into his message. Put players on the team who want to kill the goddam other team.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Here was Sheridan's point: Telling the U.S. it has to absolutely destroy every team is setting it up for failure. This isn't 1992. The world has caught up to us and we need to recognize that. We aren't going to wipe the floor with the world and we might -- gasp! -- lose a game along the way. He believed that Coach K should have sent the message that what happens early on in the tournament isn't nearly as important as the last four games and this team should focus on trying to play its best basketball when it hits the knock-out round.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

here's the rest of it, for those interested, take one

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

take two

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

With the right team USA Basketball can run every other team right out of the building every single night. Fundamentally, the USA doesn't turn out the best players anymore but we can still find a few guys who will play defense, press like crazy and run, run, run. There isn't a country on the planet that can keep up with us.

9. Songbird

If we lose a game, OK great, but at least play the game with a kill mentality. Wait until the last 4 games? No fucking way. From the first tipoff of the first game go at it hard. But it goes deeper: the first time they step onto the same court for their first practice is when the kill mentality must be born and fostered.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The world has NOT caught up to us. There is no other team in any international tournament who will field even five players who are starting-caliber NBA players. There is no other team in any tournament who will field even three players who could make the United States roster.

The reason the U.S. performance in international basketball has gone completely to shit is exactly this pervasive attitude of diminished expectations, lowered intensity, and preemptive rationalization for failure. "It's OK if the opponent scores on you. It's OK if we get outscored for a quarter, or a half. It's OK if we lose a game or two."

The team should focus on playing its best basketball from Day One. Day One to Day Last. No quarters off. No possessions off.

Any USA Basketball coach who ever says this should be fired instantly. On the spot.

11. OK, so the fight is with Sheridan, and not with what Arenas said.

12. Songbird

Can a team dominate all 56 quarters? Probably not. But you've got to want to dominate 56 quarters. That's where Sheriden doesn't get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted