1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alou vindicates Bartman: "I wouldn't have caught it anyway."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 1, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Way to ruin my night there, Rumple.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He hit the wall and his glove, like the rest of his body, was rebounding back toward fair territory when the ball would have come down to a catchable height. I don't think he would have made that play.

3. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

If Alou doesn't go nuts after it happened, then maybe the cubs keep their cool. Although, anyone who knows anything about the cubs knew this was bound to happen. If it didn't happen like that, the Marlins would have hit back-to-back-to-back inside the park home runs or tied the game on three straight balks or some other inane shit that would only happen to the cubs.

can't believe its really been five years since this happened

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Moises is just hoping Bartman will pee on his hands in appreciation.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh goody Moises... five years later you come out and say I wouldn't have gotten that ball. Bullshit.

What Bartman did was interference, pure and simple. Is he totally to blame? No. Much like Don Denkinger wasn't responsible for the Cardinals losing the 1985 World Series and Jeffrey Maier wasn't responsible for Baltimore blowing the 1996 ALCS.

Try telling that to fans in all three cities, though. To this day, some St. Louis fans swear they'll track down Denkinger. Jeffrey Maier doesn't earn all that disdain in Baltimore, but Bartman is still in hiding.

And no, I'm not one of those Cub fans bitter about 2003 or one who comes out just because the babes are hot and the beer is cold and doesn't know shit about the game on the field. Interference is in the book, and fans who do it are subject to ejection.

Nice try, Moises. Chicago fans won't forgive that easily.

6. People who attack Bartman are fucking idiots. He didn't reach down to pick up a ground ball still in play (which irks me and really is inexcusable), he didn't run on the field and interfer with the game. He attempted to catch a foul ball that was coming towards him--something that everyone in that same situation would have done.

Fans can get so bitter that they want someone to blame-to punish (i know of what i speak--i'm from philly) and they've ruined this person's life because of it. The people who want to hurt him are not fans. They're drunks. They're losers who live bitter, sad lives and the only thing that makes them feel better is to gang up on an innocent person who made an honest mistake. bartman didn't cause the cubs to lose the nlcs. The cubs choked. Period.

If you're bitter over the loss, hell i don't blame you--that's the life of a sports fan, however, If you have hatred in your heart for steve bartman, you seriously need to examine your life.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I thought I remembered he exonerated Bartman after the game to this effect: "He didn't cost us the game. We did."

Wayne Drehs of ESPN.com caught up with Bartman not too long after that, maybe a year. Hell of a story.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Eagle, did you boo Santa Claus when he was in Philly? :)

Good points all around. Hell, I'm a Cardinals fan and while Don's call was bullshit, why did the Cards let KC score 11 runs in Game 7?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Different animals.

Series is over without a horrific Denkinger call.

Bartman? His hands may have slightly... slightly been infringing into the field of play. Borderline interference. Probably not.

Fuck, it was 3-0 Cubs after that play with five outs left to get.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Interference.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

First, note the avatar.

Second, the Cubs didn't lose that game because of Bartman. They lost because they are dogs who were looking for a reason to choke.

Third, ol' pissy hands Alou is right, he wouldn't have caught the ball. He could have. But he wouldn't have.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I thought Bartman put the issue to rest when he called in live to ESPN Sportscenter and talked to Dan Patrick.

bababooey!

Draft saved Draft deleted