1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alone for new year's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

If the friends aren't married and doing couples things, they're working.

So I'm thinking about braving the Look of Loser and going to a show all by myself.

I figure I might do a doubleheader and really treat myself.

But I'm having trouble deciding which shows to go see. The ones at the top of my list are:

¤ Juno
    ¤ 27 Dresses
    ¤ Atonement
    ¤ P.S. I Love You

Any recommendations?

Anyone else flying solo? What are your plans?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm celebrating my six-month wedding anniversary with my wife.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not going to suggest any movies because, aside from P.S. I Love You, I didn't know those were movies. (I need to stop watching so much TBS).

I'm not a fan of New Years. In fact, it's my least favorite holiday. For the last five years -- including this one -- I've flown solo at the party. My first girlfriend and I began dating on New Years, so every year at 11:54 p.m., I think back to 2000. That sucks. But not as much as being the seventh or ninth or 11th person at the shindig, then waiting for a buddy to give you a pity high-five before you finish your case of beer in shotgun form.

There was one year where I ended the night breaking into an apartment, then sleeping with a girl whose name I barely knew, but I can't count on that to happen every year, nor would I prefer it, honestly.

As a whole, I just look forward to getting shitty. This year, I'll be headed to my friends across the state to hang out with some college buddies. We'll drink the night away. And I've even got a friend who's going stag, too. So we'll at least be pathetic together.

Just get drunk and start the new year with a headache, just how Jesus intended it.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The only one I've seen is Atonement. It's not a bad movie, it's just not the kind of movie that's likely to improve your mood.

A few years ago, we booked a hotel room in a town we like with the idea of attending First Night. It wasn't very good and it started raining, so when we walked by a movie theater, we bought tickets for Far From Heaven. We figured Julianne Moore, how bad can it be? It was so depressing that people were leaving the theater. About halfway through my wife asked me how I thought it would end and I said hopefully he kills his family and turns the gun on himself. It was just a gloomy way to spend New Year's Eve. Go to a happy, funny movie.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love Juno, but that doesn't mean much if we don't like the same kind of movies.

Come hang out with me. I get off work at 9:30, everyone I work with doesn't go out, and my roommate's out of town. I'll drink alone, or fall asleep crying, or (most likely) be on here like a complete looser.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Naw, I just don't feel like drinking much anymore, other than a glass of wine with dinner.

I must be getting old.

And yes, NYE has always sucked for me ... save for 1997, when I flew into Vancouver after a long cross-country flight to spend it with my then boyfriend ... who, I just learned on Facebook, got engaged on Christmas Day.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm spending NYE cleaning my apartment, doing laundry, sending freeleance proposals and hanging out here.

I lead a rich and full life.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wanna be a NYE text buddy, hockey? ;D

This was a palindromic post, too.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

NYE is amateur night, anyway. I work the second job New Year's Day at 7 so I'm not marking the occasion anyway.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

IJAG, if I could be there, I would. Bring SC into the mix and we could cause some trouble.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If only she were on this coast for THIS holiday.

We could tear some shit up. Or at least run up a hell of a bill. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted