1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alone, again... (naturally?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Greetings, friends,

I know I posted just before Thanksgiving about being alone on T-Day and how I should deal.

Well, those who followed that thread may recall I ended up spending a good portion of the day volunteering at a local soup kitchen before heading into the office.

Well, same situation, different holiday and I'm doing it again.

The best part is, I am actually looking forward to doing so. Spending time with those less fortunate than I on Thanksgiving certainly provided a big of an awakening for yours truly. I have no valid excuse for every believing I have it rough again. Ever.

And, the perspective I've gained about people in general cannot be bought as a gift.

It's a life lesson.

These unfortunate individuals aren't "the homeless," "street people," "panhandlers," "vagrants" and certainly aren't "bums."

They are just like you and me -- people -- who have a much tougher go of it than I've seen in the short time I've invested there.

I wish I had the ability to offer them more than a smile, a few kind words and serve them a warm meal on these days we all consider to be holidays.

To them, I can't begin to fathom how difficult these days are.

Thanks for being a sounding board, my friends and colleagues and I wish you all the merriest of Christmases.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Cheers, Colton, for turning a potential negative into a positive. It's a lesson from which we all could learn.

And a Merry Christmas to you, as well.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think that's awesome, dude. Have a blast with it. I wish you the best, sir.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope you get fucked up all day on new years while watching football with your friends. you owe that to yourself.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's awesome man. It's what the season is all about.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I prefer Dokken's version of 'Alone Again', BTW.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That alone should be enough of a gift. Just being there. Contributing.

One day when you've got a few coins to contribute more, you will.

Tomorrow I'm going to help serve meals at the local kitchen.

Cheers, Colton.

8. Colton --
    You can rest easy on Christmas Eve. No spirits will come visiting you.
    God bless and have a great day.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thank you all very much... Merry Christmas!

Draft saved Draft deleted