1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

alltime or all-time?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Is it alltime leading scorer or all-time leading scorer. I've seen it both ways.

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

all-time

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

alltime is never one word.

4. Clever username

Godamn SI with its different style, turning hyphenates into one word before the dictionary and confusing me.

5. Clever username

Tell that to Sports Illustrated as noted in the above post that I wrote while not taking the time to read yours, Doc.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, poolboy.

7. Clever username

You didn't. I was just noting that I could have kept my previous two posts to one if I'd taken the time to read yours, thus saving us both from this increasingly pointless conversation.

Although I suppose we could discuss why SI makes up words.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They've done it for years. For some reason the Trib uses three-pointers, among other things that don't jibe with AP style.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

AP stories also use RBIs, even though the style guide says to use RBI.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not according to my 2005 version. Did it change this year?

11. I've noticed the Trib (assuming you mean the Chicago Trib) does a lot of things differently style-wise than the AP. Does anybody know if they have their own style book and don't use AP?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

A lot of papers have their own style books with some variations from AP style.

Draft saved Draft deleted