1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alliteration: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't overdo alliteration -- more than two or three is just circus writing. And at the risk of, well, assonance, "institutions and individuals" isn't really alliteration anyway ...

The place I see alliteration used the most -- and most awkwardly -- is in headlines, where somebody forces a verb so that it starts with the same letter as the winning mascot: Padres pummel Braves (when it's 6-5), Marlins massacre Mets (again, a 4-2 win) ...

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Alliteration: Always awesome.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Because sometimes it reads well and flows well

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

In headlines, it's one of my favorite crutches.

In copy, only when it fits.

I think it was touched on earlier, but I've always believed some words carry a little zing from the spoken word to the printed because it's the reader's tendency to kind of hear them in their head.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

People prefer poetry.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I know we all have "the reader's voice" in our heads as our eyeballs tracked the writing. But it seems to me that alliteration is a better device when the writing is going to be read aloud, as in a speech, and a less valuable tool when it's simply to be read silently.

(UPChip beat me to it, and I'm too lazy to hold down my delete key.)

Obvious? Okay, I'll balance with something unrelated:

Recall an old radio newsman who got his ass in a wringer when he reported on a house fire that took the lives of a couple of kids. He intro'ed it with "Two tots toasted!"

Think the result was: Freakin' fool fired.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Warm windy weather wows woman.....

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Clap-catching creep creates chaos....

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

This is wrong? Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Call me Smitty. That’s what everybody else called me—the ballplayers, the bankers, the bareback riders, the baritones, the bartenders, the bastards, the best-selling writers (excepting Hem, who dubbed me Frederico), the bicyclists, the big game hunters (Hem the exception again), the billiards champs, the bishops, the blacklisted (myself included), the black marketeers, the blonds, the bloodsuckers, the bluebloods, the bookies, the Bolsheviks (some of my best friends, Mr. Chairman—what of it!), the bombardiers, the bootblacks, the bootlicks, the bosses, the boxers, the Brahmins, the brass hats, the British (Sir Smitty as of ‘36), the broads, the broadcasters, the broncobusters, the brunettes, the black bucks down in Barbados (Meestah Smitty), the Buddhist monks in Burma, one Bulkington, the bullfighters, the bullthrowers, the burlesque comics and the burlesque stars, the bushmen, the bums, and the butlers. And that’s only the letter B, fans, only one of the Big Twenty-Six!

-- Philip Roth
    "The Great American Novel," p. 1

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

He missed the bitches....just sayin' ;D

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is my answer as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted