1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alli

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A bunch of us were enjoying an amazingly good - hell, I cooked it - and amazingly fatty and unhealthy dinner last night. One of the diners said, "Can you imagine if we were on that Alli? It would be out of control."

It got me to thinking as I do now and then when I'm eating poorly and thinking I need to eat right and lose weight: It's been a while. Anybody using it and having success? Are there, uh, problems?

You can use the old "a friend of mine" thing if you'd like. I understand some may not want to discuss this but I am curious about this stuff.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't tried it. And I don't mean to shit all over it (no joke intended) for someone who struggles with weight...

But it just seems wrong to me. My understanding of the stuff is that it prevents your body from breaking down some of the fat you eat. I know it's easier said than done, but my question is, why not change your diet instead and try to go low fat--take the fat out of your diet instead of relying on a pill to block some absorption of fat? The problems with the pills, I would guess are, that 1) If you overeat, you are still going to stay heavy, because this stuff doesn't touch carbohydrates, which should be the vast majority of your diet, and 2) This stuff prevents the breaking down of some of the fat you eat, but about 3/4 of the fat in your diet still gets synthesized by your body. So my guess is if you eat the same, you'll lose some weight, because you are absorbing 1/4 less fat. But if you have a high-fat (bad fats) diet, it's going to take more than this to get fit, and even if you lose a little weight, you are still not doing your heart and your overall health any favors, because this pill doesn't block fat absorption. It just stems it off a little. Also, your bouts with the toilet are going to be ugly. Undigested fat has to wreak havoc on your intestines and you are going to be passing big wads of oil spills.

I know I end up preaching on these threads, but even if you lose a little weight by taking this pill, my guess is it is going to be unsustainable--you can't stay dependent on a pill forever, and it's a pill that is only going to get you part of the way there. You are much better off reducing the fat in your diet and changing eating and exercise patterns. That kind of weight loss will be sustainable. Plus, once you get used to eating a lower fat diet, you really don't crave the bad stuff. You just have this line you have to cross. With the pills you are still going to continue craving the bad stuff and you will remain fighting yourself. I think of fats like opiates--like any kind of addiction, really. You just have to break the addiction and then it gets easier.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good points. They say you don't have the "problems" with Alli if you cut down your fats. But, hell, if you cut down your fats you are on the way anyway. Add some exercise and get it done.

That's what I keep telling myself at least.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Treadmill? Shit in my pants? Give me the treadmill anyday.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well that takes all the fun out of it...

6. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

I have what doctors like to call a little bit of a weight problem (used to grab bear claws two at a time). This was actually recommended to me a couple of years ago when it was still prescription. And I kid you not, when my doc was describing the side effects, he pulled hand-over-mouth *coughh*anal leakage*cough*. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Back up there a second doc. Did you just say that this stuff causes anal leakage? Pass.

A couple of my friends have since tried this drug and they've basically described the drug's weight-loss effect thusly "I don't think there's anything magical in the drug. I'm just too scared to eat unhealthy because I might shit myself."

7. Hiro

Hiro Member

Modify: Like the Q man says right above me:

I think the whole point is to NOT shit your pants. As in, the knowledge of what eating too much fat will do to you scares you into eating better food for fear of public embarrassment. The equivalent of a big brawny dude standing next to you saying, 'If you take one bite of that pie, I'm going to punch you in the face. I'm not even kidding.'

So in that aspect, I could see it encouraging you to eat better, not just forcing your body to react differently to the same amount of eating.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outing alert: Q Man is really this guy...
    [​IMG]

Well, my name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. I dont know if you've noticed, but I got a slight weight problem.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't need a pill to make me fat. I don't need a pill to make me unfat.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's Alli?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't feel comfortable with any artificial weight loss mechanisms. The only things I would recommend are the standard diet and exercise.

I've started jogging on the track at the local university the past couple of weeks. If I combine that with better diet, I should eventually start seeing some positive results.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lift weights, then burn off fat on the sexmill or rower or bike or eliptical, and cut out 98 percent of the shitty foods, and you'll be good to go.

I'm down from 284 to 230 in just over 18 months. Remember, it's a state of mind, a lifetime road you're choosing -- not a stopgap.

Draft saved Draft deleted