1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All together now...CHARGE!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good luck, RSC. Let us know how it goes if you guys use it.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

It worked for music.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yes, because you want to buy music and listen to it over and over. Newspaper content doesn't exactly have that kind of shelf life.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yep. It's the little concept of continued returns.

5. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I can't see it working when people can simply go to the BBC or CNN and get their news for free.

http://edition.cnn.com/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You will need to put the hammer of the government -- the threat of astronomical lawsuit damages for freely disseminating premium content -- behind it, as was done in the battle of Napster.

7. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Probably. But you guys mentioned wanting to listen to music over and over... Doesn't the news change, you know, every day? And what will people do if all newspapers charge and those nice and free blogs have no more content because they can't steal it any more? Pay, I'd guess.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Plus at our shop, we're offering local coverage of the three main cities and the ones on the outskirts that nobody else will be covering.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nutso.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm looking, and I just don't see a single story we'd be likely to cover on either one of those sites. I imagine that's true for a majority of newspapers in this country.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted