1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

all-time web gems

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Buckdub --

430 is a good estimate on the Mays catch, though I've seen as high as 450-460. But he wasn't heading into that monument area -- The spot on the wall he was in front of was listed at 425 but was probably a lot closer to 435-440.

Dead running catch 430-440 feet from home plate with his back to the infield. Turns and throws a pea that kept the runner on first from tagging, thereby stranding the run.

Happens all the time. I did it yesterday.

2. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

I think he slid. Can we get another opinion? I realize it wasn't a "web gem", but now I'm curious.

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

From Baseball Almanac

"Clinging to the 4-3 advantage, the Blue Jays brought in their seventh pitcher of the night, Mike Timlin who induced Nixon to bunt with the potential tying run at third. The quick-reflexed, right-handed reliever charged the blooper and made the throw to first ending the game and the Series. "

Nixon already had an RBI double in this game, how did Timlin induce Nixon to bunt? And when was the slide?

This has become the most pointless thread jack ever, I know.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nixon did not slide. As a Jays fan I have that play burned into my memory.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Thank you. So Nixon did not slide to end the '92 Series. When did he? I know this happened, because I remember throwing the remote at the television. Maybe he tripped and fell into first.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

My cat killed a dove with one bat of his claws the other day. Why wasn't that a web gem?

Mays catch is incredible. There was also a time when I'd go to Angels-Indians games at Anaheim Stadium (yes, before it was Angels Stadium) and I swear, every time Tim Salmon thought he'd hit another home run, Kenny Lofton would steal it away from him. Incredible stuff.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't know when he slid. But whenever it was, it wasn't a World Series ender. The only other Series that Nixon was in was 1991, and that ended with Gene Larkin's single.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that edmonds catch in kansas city was one when he actually had to dive. as opposed to most of his when he makes easy catches look hard by diving

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That shouldn't make the list because Giambi was safe.

I remember watching Andre Dawson throw out two guys at the plate in the same inning at a game at Wrigley back in 87 or 88. That should be worth a mention. I can't believe that happens very often.

10. Sea Bass

Tippy Martinez once picked off three Blue Jays in the same inning. All at first base.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the game when Lenn Sakata had to come in to catch?

12. Sea Bass

Yeah. Lenn "Joey McLaughlin is my bitch" Sakata.

Draft saved Draft deleted