1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-time screw ups and ultimate great moves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So I was just flipping past American Idol as Ryan Seacrest was signing off and I got to thinking, "What the hell ever happened to Brian Dunkelman," the other tool from the first season of AI.
    As I remember, he decided not to return, looking for other career opportunities. Since then, Seacrest has invaded our homes, created his own production company and even figured out a way to start the first red-carpet segment at the Super Bowl. I can't stand that twit, but damn, he turned hosting American Idol into a great American success story. Dunkelman, meanwhile, is probably blowing people cheeseburgers these days.

That also got me thinking about how, in 1977, George Lucas decided to forego a salary for directing Star Wars as long as he got to keep the rights to the franchise. One of the all-time great deals ever struck by a writer/director.

So what are some other monumentally stupid moves that ruined careers or cost people millions? How about some of the genius decisions that have made otherwise talentless hacks rich and successful?

Whaddya got?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dumb:

Shelley Long, "I wanna be in movies!!" 1986.

George Lucas, "No, Spielberg, you CAN'T direct Episode II", 2000.

Wise:

Mitch Kupchak, "I think we'll wait and see on Andrew Bynum, thanks", 2007. And they wouldn't be in position to rebuild this quickly without biting the bullet on the Shaq trade . . . .

Steve Sarkisian, "You know what, Al? I'm happy at USC. But thre's a guy named Lane you should talk to . . . " 2007.

3. http://briandunkleman.com/

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! The Livestrong-style "Remember Dunkleman" bracelet at the bottom was the capper.

5. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that Jeff Goldblum compromised with producers on Jurassic Park. He gave up his salary for a big chunk of the back end. And, as the story goes, the guy has been living fat (or lanky, in Goldblum's case) and happy on that ever since. That'd be a good move if it's true.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I think Bruce Willis waived his fee or a substantial portion of it for a piece of the back-end of either The Sixth Sense or Pulp Fiction. If true, that's a lot of money.

7. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Bads
    -- David Caruso
    -- Also, a guy I work with is related to the dude who wrote the theme song to "King of the Hill." When the cartoon series was pitched he opted for a one-time payment instead of a piece of the overall pie. He now languishes in mediocrity and makes jack shit for money.
    -- Todd Bell and Al Harris, Chicago Bears pro-bowlers, holding out for the entire 1985 season. OOPS!

Good
    -- Belichick bailing on Jets
    -- Coke creating the "New" Coke. Stupidest idea ever for a little bit, but windfall of bringing back the Classic made the stock blow up.
    -- Jared deciding to eat Subway when he was a fatass student at IU

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Donald Sutherland took a one-time payday for Animal House instead of a cut of the profits. I read one place he could have made $30 million or so.

10. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Screw up: Paul McCartney repeatedly marrying.

Great move: Marrying Paul McCartney.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Latrell Sprewell trying to "feed his family."

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If anyone would recognize John Rutsey or Eric Stefani (and if photos could be had), I'd add to your great point.

Draft saved Draft deleted