1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-time favorite athlete whose career was cut short?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 4, 2011.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Bias. So much promise. Classic "What if" case.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Eddy Guerrero

Yes, pro wrestling is predetermined, but he was as athletic as anyone, and fun to watch.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Aw shit, I was about to use that one because so many great ones have already been used...so I'll go with

Johnny Utah.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As a Yankees fan I could argue that Mattingly played 14 years in the majors, so I don't see how his career was "cut short" by injury.
    The fact that his numbers declined during his final 7 seasons after injuring his back doesn't mean his career was 'cut short'.

If we're going to put Mattingly in the conversation, then why not Thurmon Munson? Although he played 11 years, his career was cut short (by death).

6. I love Don Mattingly, my all-time fav. baseball player. But... he played 14 seasons.
    Fourteen seasons!
    Yeah, he had back problems that certainly derailed a would-be HOF career and put him in the realm of pretty good, but he played 14 seasons.
    Limited yes. Cut short?

What EStreetJoe said .... Beat me by a few minutes.

7. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

Vladimir Konstantinov: Fearless defenseman; gentle soul; good, good guy.

For those who don't recall, Konstantinov was seriously injured in a car crash after winning the Stanley Cup with Detroit in 1997. He was in the back of a limo -- he did the smart thing and decided not to drive while celebrating -- and the limo driver turned out to be a dirtbag who had no business being a professional driver. Konstantinov suffered brain damage, among other injuries, and never fully recovered.

I still get angry about this 13 years later.

8. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

A tie between Gary Anderson and Morten Anderson

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Two from the "They Did it to Themselves" category: Mike Tyson and Jennifer Capriati.

Both pissed away major chunks of their prime.

10. Capriati ok .. Tyson? He had a 10-year run - aside from Buster Douglas hicciup - and was un-fucking-stoppable.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bernard King
    Penny Hardaway

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

But among boxing purists gets almost no respect and is rarely listed with the true greats. Went to prison just as the heavyweight class was coming out of its malaise and would produce guys who could actually have tested him and allowed him to be viewed among the top guys in the sport ever. Just would liked to have seen a stable Tyson as opposed to the idiot we got for so many years.

Draft saved Draft deleted