1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN" ALERT!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SCEditor, Jan 25, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of the best monologues in history. I could recite that in my sleep. :D

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Exactly, which is why it's simply awful that the people who edit these movies for time on networks like AMC couldn't figure out another place to find those 30-40 seconds or whatever.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Another line butchered by our namby-pamby network censors:

"Woodward! Bernstein! You're on the story. Don't fuck it up."

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Remember following the story from about the second week it broke. Riveting stuff.

Watergate would NOT happen today because the Rovians would go after Woodward & Bernstein's reputations in a heartbeat.

Then the story wouldn't be about Nixon and the break-ins, it would be about whether Woodward fucked a dog in senior high. (For further insights, see Whitewater)

It was a great book if you haven't read it. And the movie does it justice.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Newsweek did an essay a couple of years ago on why Watergate couldn't happen today.

Sadly, the essay was dead on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8101512/site/newsweek/

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nixon gave a TV interview to the British journalist David Frost in which he said, "When the president does it, that means it's not illegal." This explained why he felt comfortable approving the break-in at the office of Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist. Ken Duberstein and a few other principled Republicans weighed in that Nixon was bad news, but they were drowned out by former aides like Pat Buchanan and G. Gordon Liddy, who wanted to firebomb the Brookings Institution.

Yup, pretty much.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We can't vote in Iran, either.

So can we rip their elected president?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely. It would be even cooler if you can't go more than two or three posts without doing it.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was supposed to go to a forum featuring Woodward and Bernstein last week at the University of Texas. It was canceled because of icy roads and other wintry weather conditions.

As a consolation prize, an updated two-DVD presentation of the movie -- which I'd ordered weeks ago -- arrived in the mail that day. The special features include interviews with Woodstein and with other key figures, plus there's stuff on there since the identity of Deep Throat became public, including some background on him.

I love the book and the movie. Early in my career I rented it from a video store and kept it for months. Months. They never called to ask for it back. Finally, I decided to return it. My friend said I shouldn't unless I brought it back with an 18-minute gap in the middle.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, is your blue sarcasm on or off?

I didn't rip anybody.

Jesus, get a life.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Despite its successes, the movie is incredibly underrated.

It's a joke that Bradlee's monolouge and Deep Throat's "Follow the money" were not among the AFI top 100 movie quotes of all time.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Joe,
    I think for those who weren't around when the book/movie came out, it's hard to describe Woodward and Bernstein's public profile in an era when there wasn't 24/7 news, blogs, or internets. These two guys were friggin' rock stars.

Draft saved Draft deleted