1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Super Bowls indoors?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Feb 5, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Two little tidbits they probably didn't mention on "Extreme Engineering":

(a) When they roll in the field the grass dies. It hits the air conditioning and apparently the grass concludes that it's winter. They had to put in new turf for the bowl games because of that.

(b) While it is allegedly a retractable roof stadium, the Bidwills refuse to open it for fear that a fan may at some point be looking into the sun. They play games in perfect weather with the roof closed.

We now return to the thread.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, I know this is sort of ancillary to the main topic here, but was this really the first one? Because i could have sworn they had one in New Orleans at Tulane Stadium before the Super Dome was built, and it rained like a motherfucker. I guess I could be mistaken ...

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think it rained for part of Super Bowl IX, but nothing like Sunday's game.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You are a moron.

Yes, those winter hellholes are eliminated.

Back on the shortbus for you.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

What's interesting here is the NFL wanted no part of Atlanta last year (or was it two years ago) when it was bidding to host another game, in part because the committee couldn't squelch memories of the ice storm that arrived with the last one in the ATL. So it would seem even Atlanta is too far north, even if it's guaranteed the halftime performers will be safe from electrocution.

BTW, all this stuff about the game is irrelevent. It's more about hotel space and local attractions than anything else.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was open for the Broncos-Cardinals game that I went to in December.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'd say a lot of teams could pull it off because they have the stadium and, more importantly, the hotel space to do it. Those that probably would be eliminated:

Buffalo, Cincinnati (enough hotel space?), Tennessee (enough hotel space?), Oakland (bad stadium), Green Bay (no hotel space), Minnesota (bad stadium), Carolina (enough hotel space?), San Francisco (bad stadium).

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It seems like the one they played at Rice Stadium in Houston back in the early '70s was also rather drizzly, but, again, nothing like Sunday.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No.

You are thinking of IX in NO.

There hasn't been a raindrop in the 39 others.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Twenty-nine Super Bowls have been played outdoors. It finally rains on one, and people want to move them all indoors? That's nonsense. I also don't believe it will ever happen, because some of the sites the rich and famous most enjoy visiting, namely, Miami and San Diego, will never, ever, have roofs, retractable or otherwise.
    Rainy and 60 is uncomfortable, but almost every fan I know has sat in worse. Around here, far, far worse.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I thought the biggest problem with Super Bowl IX was the fact it was like 45 degrees or something close to that?

Draft saved Draft deleted