1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Super Bowls indoors?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Feb 5, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

Hate the idea of a continual indoor Super Bowl. Yesterday's game was refreshing because of the rain and thought it added an element the game had never seen before. Amazingly enough, I can't think of another outdoor Super Bowl where the elements affected the game as much as they did yesterday.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There hadn't been one before yesterday.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Watching the sheets of rain billow down, I was just thinking how awesome it would have been if it had been snow.

Why do people remember the Ice Bowl 40 years later? Why do they remember the snow-bowl games in Foxboro or Cincy? Hell, my uncle stood on the sidelines for the 1947 NFL Championship game, in a blizzard in Comiskey Park, and he still talks about it today.

As far as the 65,000 people in the stands? Screw them. If you can afford $600-$800 (face value) or $3,000-$4,000 (scalped) for a ticket, you can afford to spend $100 on a good parka or snowmobile suit. And you'll hang it on the wall in your den for the rest of your life. "Yeah, that's the suit I wore at the legendary 2015 Super Bowl in Denver, when it was 10 below zero and there was six feet of snow the night before the game..."

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I say let's play it in Alaska.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wonder what the biggest football stadium in Alaska is.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wouldn't work. It's a 1 1/2-hour commute back and forth and besides, there's not enough hotel rooms in the city and the surrounding suburbs.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it would take about 40 years for the memory to dull enough for the person to forget how miserable he was watchiing a game in 10 below zero weather.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Honestly, I would like to see all the Super Bowls indoors.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Actually, scratch that idea.

Can you imagine how many times Berman would say "the frozen tundra" during Super Bowl week?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've always been a traditionalist. Love "football weather", love the Ice Bowl, Favre in sub-32 temps, and that mucky '97 NFC title game at Candlestick.

But honestly, I haven't had a problem with indoors Super Bowls. Some of my best SB memories are from indoors games -- my Cheeseheads in '96 (New Orleans), the Rams-Titans finish in '99 (Atlanta), the Niners clobbering the Broncos in '89 (New Orleans) ...

That said, I like an outdoors football game much better. Both in person and on TV.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Preach on, brother Buckweaver.

I agree: Every NFL city should get the chance to host a Super Bowl. Except maybe Foxboro, because there's like four hotels on Route 1 and no one should have to stay in Providence to cover a Super Bowl.

But seriously, some place like Giants Stadium (once the new place is built) would be perfect. So there's not a lot of hotel rooms in East Rutherford. There's enough room for the teams, which would presumably cut down on players getting sauced in the city. The beautiful people could suck up all the hotel rooms in Manhattan. The NFL would eat up hosting a week of Super Bowl bullshit in its home city. People can bus in and out of the city on game day.

And hopefully, the game is played in a blizzard.

But, again, as many have noted here, it's not about creating a memorable game. It's about keeping the beautiful people cozy and comfortable and surreptiously reminding the rest of us that all we can do is watch the beautiful people having a good time.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about that. I once did the drive from Milwaukee to Green Bay in a snow storm. Doing 75, it's an hour and forty-five minutes. Crawling through a blizzard, it took forever. That could destroy a Super Bowl. And even if it went OK, the traffic jam alone after the game, with everyone heading south, would be a nightmare.

Green Bay could never work. Milwaukee is just too far. And there aren't enough hotel rooms in the vicinity to accomodate regular-season Packers games (how many of you have had to stay in Appleton, 30 miles away?, or even farther), let alone a Super Bowl-sized crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted