1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose UFC/MMA/That Kind Of Thing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Kimbo Slice, finished with UFC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Kimbo-s-run-in-the-UFC-is-over-White-cuts-him?urn=mma,239667

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

You know that a part of Dana White had to enjoy that moment. He was very critical of Kimbo back in the day, even going as far as saying he'd never fight in UFC. Of course, when he realized how big of a cash cow the guy was, he rescinded and said he'd never fight in the UFC without first going through The Ultimate Fighter. Even though he lost his two fights on TUF, they still brought him back for three more fights, all of which he was dominated.

Mitrione toyed with Kimbo last night. It looked pretty bad. Mitrione had him in two triangles, a kimura, a wristlock and a rear naked choke before just settling for a good old-fashioned GNP until the ref stopped the fight.

I think Kimbo's age caught up with him in MMA. He was doing those street-fight videos 10 years ago. By the time he got a legit shot at MMA, his body wasn't what it used to be. Plus, let's be honest, the people he was fighting in those videos wouldn't last 10 seconds in MMA.

With all that said, Kimbo's a cool cat in my book. On the Ultimate Fighter, you learned a lot about his story and he's a sincere dude. He made a shitload of money and he'll be able to live comfortably, if he's smart. Plus, you know he's gonna make some bank just touring around to house shows signing autographs and taking pictures.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Kimbo doesn't belong in the ring, but you got to respect the dude for going on TUF and doing what he did. Seems like a good dude, too. Hopefully, like someone said, he's been smart with his money.

Lesnar v. Carwin on July 3. I'll definitely watch that one.

4. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

So, it turns out Shogun is tough.

Extracted from the May 17 2010 edition of Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

http://www.f4wonline.com/

5. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

So, last night Tim Slyvia pretty much beat the shit out of (five time world's strongest man) Mariuzs Pudzianowski.

Tim Sylvia vs Mariusz Pudzianowski (May 21, 2010) (Moosin MMA - Sylvia vs. Pudzianowski) (DCU Center)
    (Worcester, Massachusetts, United States)

#!

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8 weeks?

With laparascopic appendectomy, 1 to 2 weeks for total recovery.

7. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Chuck Liddell looks to be in good shape. Probably the best shape I've ever seen him in.

Ian McCall (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ian-McCall-5001) posted on The Underground that he's been training with Chuck and that Chuck has been sober from everything for nine months.

I'm not sure how much it means. He's forty now, and his problems in his last few fights seem to have been related to his reflexes and chin. That said who knows. Rich Franklin doesn't have the best chin in the world and Liddell can hit hard.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Looks like Liddell walked into the wrong right hand last night. Match over. Career over.

He was good. Five years ago.

Onto Lesnar-Carwin July 3.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Been some good fights tonight. Lytle is a beast! Great submisson of Matt Brown

10. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

I can't believe Lesnar came back to win that fight. That was a pretty good card of fights including the prelims.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wow, Brock is a beast!

12. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I didn't think that it merited its own thread though so I thought that I'd stick it here.

I'm off work at the moment, and I have been reading some of Joe Rogan's earlier blogs. Joe first stared blogging in April 2000 and there is ten years worth of stuff archived at his site. It doesn't take him long to start growing (or at least gaining confidence) as a writer. I'm reading them in order at the moment. It's interesting. When he first starts blogging he's finished with News Radio but hasn't become involved with Fear Factor yet. It's interesting getting sense of where Joe's life was back then, and he's pretty decent writer.

For instance take this piece, which is the first real piece of good writing on the blog. Prior to this entry the entries read like just another blog. "How's you doing? I'm doing x and y and z". Joe is able to express himself well. He's coherent and literate. His very early entries aren't bad. They are just a little pedestrian. What separates this entry is that it's one of the first one's where Joe is able to give the reader a real sense of time, place, emotion and state of mind.

Oh, I should point out that Joe's website itself contains lots of NSFW pictures. So, you know, if at work I wouldn't go there.

http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/19

Draft saved Draft deleted