1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

HA!

Mngwa likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's hard to pinpoint a bunch that are ongoing because so many titles come and go. A few good ones for kids right now would be Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Runaways, maybe The Chanpions. DC is doing all kinds of wacky things with their titles and is having distribution problems, so I wouldn't even know what to recommend from them. Young Justice, Shazam, Super Sons, and Legion of Super-Heroes are a few I think a kid would like, though I'm not sure if they are all still publishing monthly.

Now, some older ones that you might want to look for in graphic novel form are Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and Shuri (all from Marvel). DC has been putting out some original graphic novels aimed at younger readers, maybe a bit older than nine years old, but Mera and Raven are a couple from that series. Good ones from outside the big two are Paper Girls and Lumberjanes. Both those series are done publishing so you'll need to find graphic novels. If you have a local comic shop, stop in and see what they have. Your local library probably has plenty of graphic novels.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

rofl, I was just looking at the cfb thread and wondering where my post went. Sorry, mate.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Graphic novels are a great idea. That would give him contained stories to read all at once. I think Miles Morales is definitely a better bet for kid-friendly than the current Amazing Spider-Man book.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems like a good place to post this link again. I know you want the print editions, but this is a good place to scroll through and sample what you might want, or check what the current books are up to, before you commit to a subscription.

ComicOnlineFree - Read comics online free in high quality

Considering how much comic books seem to skew toward older readers nowadays, you might also consider going the back issue route. My local shops used to sell them by the pound. I'm sure you could hunt around and find some good deals online of good reads from the 1980s and early 90s, when comics were more kid-friendly than today. There's probably a sweet spot from about 1987-91 where they were fun and light without having Wolverine or Punisher show up for a killing spree every other issue, or the big end of the world universe-wide crossover that happens every six months now.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good idea, thanks. I might use that just to check out The King in Black myself.

Batman likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Someone at Hobby Lobby needs an enthusiastic nutkick.

[​IMG]

heyabbott and Batman like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I used it to read the first three issues. An overpowered villain comes out of nowhere to threaten the world. Major heroes are either defeated, killed, or controlled by said villain. Perhaps it is a combination of all of those things. One or two secondary existing characters suddenly become very important.

Rinse. Repeat. Yawn.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You shouldn't shop there anyways

11. Neutral Corner

I don't - which does not mean that I can't laugh at this.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

What are people's thoughts on Avengers: Age of Ultron?

Draft saved Draft deleted