1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bumblebee does look fun and I have similar faith in Captain Marvel.

The X-Men movies have been going in the wrong direction for a while. You raise a good point. Part of the reason the Dark Phoenix storyline worked so well in the comics, and later in the animated series, was the connection the audience had with Scott and Jean as individuals and as a couple. We just don't have that here. Xavier, Beast, Mystique and Magneto are the ones who have been built up and they seem to be more in supporting roles.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Brie Larson is the lead. If you don't like Captain Marvel, you automatically hate women, according to some people.

3. outofplace

What people? The movie isn't even out for a while.

The character is great at times in the comics, but her continuity is an absolute mess.

4. Severian

This occured when Wonder Woman came out. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people online hailing Captain Marvel as an amazing movie, just on the basis Larson is the lead.

5. outofplace

That may very well happen, but perhaps we should wait until it actually does before presenting assumptions as facts?

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

When will we be getting a Nick Fury movie?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They probably need to sweep him up first.

bigpern23 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Severian

You're right. I'll check in on this after the movie comes out. I'm just being cynical lol

9. outofplace

I see and appreciate what you did there, but you don't really believe any of the dust piles are permanently gone, do you?

10. outofplace

If you haven't seen the trailers for Venom, you probably missed this absurd bit of dialogue.

"We will eat both your arms, and then both of your legs, and then we will eat your face right off your head. You will be this armless, legless, faceless little thing, won’t you? Rolling down the street like a turd in the wind."

There is actually a brief dramatic pause after turd. It is a line that is so bad that the words alone will probably keep away a few customers. The following link is an entire article dedicated to explaining why the line is actually a good reason to see the move. I think the author's logic may have won me over. I mean about the line, not the movie. I still think the movie is going to be crap, though I'll probably watch it at some point. It can't really be that much worse than Thor: The Dark World, can it?

In Defense of the 'Venom' Trailer's "Turd in the Wind" Line

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The new Doctor debuts tomorrow. I'm comfortable enough in my manhood to admit I'm going to skip the early NFL game to watch it.

12. outofplace

I've never been a big fan of the show, but I am curious. Are fans excited about this? Annoyed? I can imagine there is a good bit of both reactions.

Draft saved Draft deleted