1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wolverine Spin-off X-23 Is Happening

Hugh Jackman may be done with Wolverine, but there will be a sequel of sorts to Logan. Director James Mangold said a script is in the works for a movie focused on Laura (X-23).

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sure, but if anybody considered Dooku to be the primary villain, he'd have been atop the pyramid. Dooku was completely forgettable. Palpatine would have had the top spot, except everyone knew Anakin was really a villain, which he showed when he slaughtered the sand people.

I'm comfortable considering Anakin as a villain in that story.

3. outofplace

I'm just saying it doesn't have to be the primary villain for the theory to work, just that the character has to serve as an antagonist. I don't think we will see Luke turn evil, but I could see him working against the light because fear has overwhelmed him.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

I think that's a fair assessment, though I hope it - and the theory I'm positing - is wrong. If he works against the Light and is overwhelmed by fear, that (potentially) potentially leads him to the Dark Side. I think I've said it on The Force Awakens thread that Luke's temptation by the Dark Side is a story that's already been told. I don't want to see that again.

The only way to make that storyline work without being repetitive is to have Luke fully fall to the Dark Side, which would completely undo the story arc of the original trilogy. Luke was tempted, he chose the Light. That should carry through to this trilogy.

5. outofplace

I agree. That's one thing I liked about the old expanded universe. The main characters remained true to what they were and what they became in the original trilogy.

What we have now in the movies is much darker, not just overall, but in the characterizations of Luke and Han. Luke failed to bring back the Jedi Order and is in hiding. Han fell back into old habits, returning to smuggling and separating from Leia. I'm not saying it is bad, but it is definitely much darker than the old EU.

I get the focus on the younger characters, but so much of the love for Star Wars was the audience's affection for the characters. Now Han is gone and Leia pretty much has to be gone by the start of Episode 9. I'm not sure losing Luke as well is going to be particularly satisfying. Perhaps the trailers are just fake-outs and Luke will find his way again, but what we've seen so far seems to fit more into the theory of fear leading him down a dark path.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Fear is the mind killer.

7. outofplace

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

I'm sure the last trailer was meant to at least make us think Luke Skywalker is turning to the dark side. He even admits to being afraid of another the power another person is demonstrating, presumably Rey, saying he should have been afraid when he saw similar power before. We knew Ben Solo's turn to the dark side damaged him. Now we see how badly.

8. outofplace

I keep seeing references to Jeremy Renner's Clint Barton becoming Ronin during Avengers: Infinity War. In the comics, Barton gave up being Hawkeye to take on the role of Ronin, which other characters had used in the past. The Ronin costume is mostly black and includes a full hood and mask that entirely conceals the wearer's features. He also uses melee weapons instead of a bow.

Renner has said in the past that his movie character is based primarily on the Ultimate Marvel comics. That could mean a hell of a dark turn for the character and his family. I just wonder if Disney would go there.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Gosh, I just saw a set photo of Renner looking very similar to that of Ronin. I'll see if I can find it. Leg guards and all.

10. outofplace

I know those shots are out there. It seems clear he will at least take on the look of Ronin. The question is why he would make the change. In the main Marvel Universe, he did it during the Dark Reign, when he and the other Avengers were wanted criminals. It was a temporary thing.

Barton also went through a major change in the Ultimate line, though he kept the codename Hawkeye, but that was a much darker story.

11. outofplace

I've never seen the new Justice League cartoon, though I have seen some clips online. Seems to be trying a little too hard to be kid friendly, but I thought this was fun.

12. bigpern23

I'm dying to see more kid-friendly superhero shows. My kid loves all the characters, but I can barely show him any shows/movies because they're too violent or have foul language, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted